Coolant change question

Mast372MIND

Hey guys,

I bought a clean '03 stock banshee about three weeks ago. Only been able to work on it for about 2 weekends for a few hours at a time since I got it, mainly just replacing crankcase oil, fuel, and adjusting cables, chain, etc. to stock tolerances. It was all stock when I got it, so I went ahead and put on a ModQuad K&N w/ adapter and some new grips and just received my reeds, fattys w/ TC2 silencers, and FMF jet kit (not on bike yet).

Anyways, I changed out the coolant last weekend and replaced what was in it with Engine Ice. Following the service manual I downloaded, I drained the coolant, flushed it with about 4 liters of tap water and a gallon of distilled water, then started filling the radiator with Engine Ice. To my suprise, it only took about 1 liter to fill the radiator. Following the manual, I ran the bike for a few minutes, but the radiator was still full. I then rode it for about 10 and it was still full. I even drained a little out and topped it back off, with the same result. It took nowhere near the 1.5 liters suggested by the manual.

That being said, I'm pretty sure it is circulating coolant because the radiator does get warm.

Have any of you had similar experiences or what do you think is going on? I've been riding two-strokes all my life (always 250cc dirt bikes before), so I'm not a total noob, but I've never had a banshee and this is raising some suspicions...

Only thing I could think of was that all of the flush water didn't drain, but I don't see how that would be possible.

Let me know what you think.

It has been a long time since I filled my bike up so I can't remember how much it took but do this. When you flush your system out, drop the lower rad line and empty it, then blow through it with the rad cap on and this will push the fluid out of your motor where the hose hooks out on the clutch cover. This will get everything (or close to it) out. Then just top off the rad and run it for a few mins and check it again.

It has been a long time since I filled my bike up so I can't remember how much it took but do this. When you flush your system out, drop the lower rad line and empty it, then blow through it with the rad cap on and this will push the fluid out of your motor where the hose hooks out on the clutch cover. This will get everything (or close to it) out. Then just top off the rad and run it for a few mins and check it again.

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the reply bro!

The coolant that was in it before was a lime greem color and the Engine Ice was blue. After I filled it with coolant, I drained a little bit out to check the color. It was blue like the Engine Ice, so I think I'm good. Just to be safe I might go ahead and change it again, but I really hate to because its going to cost me an hour trip to a shop and $20 for Engine Ice, which blows.

On second thought, I may just purge about half a litre from the system then top it off again, just to ensure that its not diluted with distilled water left over from the flush. I think thats going to be my best bet.

what you have to do is either tip the bike on both sides with the jug plugs out, or flush the remaining coolant out of the bottom of the juggs with fresh stuff. i removed the impellar plate to drain it there, too...

Damn man, thats a lot of work :jesterlaugh: !!! J/K, I'll do that next time too, along with pulling the hoses.

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the purge idea, or should I just replace it all?

Edited by Mast372MIND

if you pull the plate off, then you don't have to pull the hose......whatever it didn't take, it had that much distilled water left in it, so i would just drain that much and correct the mixture, if you are mixing........never run engine ice, so i don't know if you mix with water.....

if you pull the plate off, then you don't have to pull the hose......whatever it didn't take, it had that much distilled water left in it, so i would just drain that much and correct the mixture, if you are mixing........never run engine ice, so i don't know if you mix with water.....

Alright, thanks bro. Yeah, engine ice comes premixed w/ 50% deionized water, so no need to premix. I'm going to do what you said though, just drain some out and reconcentrate the coolant by topping it off again.

Thanks for the help!

Where do you live at? If your somewhere that it freezes frequently, I would say just to be safe flush it out and make sure you get as much Engine Ice in there as you can. If you live down souht, I would say don't worry about it. And ditch the Engine Ice and get your self a bottle of Redline Water Wetter and a gallon of Distilled water. The only major differance in the two is the Engine Ice has freeze protectant where Wter Wetter does not.

I now after I put my Noss head back on that the bike took right around 1/4 of a gal.

I also found this site that helps explain what happens when you change the mix ratio

http://www.challengers101.com/CoolantMix.html

Hope this helps some people out.

that is a nice calculator, but remember, all that technical info about the cooling transfer and stuff is based on comventional "green" coolant, or etheline glycol........these chemical based and other types of coolants will definately perform differently, with the coolant itself doing more work than the water, not just adding protection to it.