shame on me

A well known secret in the banshee community,

I too use the freeze & butter method,

One thing though stay away from maragarine as it is high in trans fatty acids and that might ruin the finish of your pipes.

I prefer plain ol stick butter, because you can unwrap one end and baste those pipes like a turkey.

I just did this with my shearer out of frames cleared the steering stem like a charm!

GOod luck man!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

toomey told me to do the same with my T5's, but i got them in without doing it.

Iv tried to use the butter that comes in a tub and apply it to the pipes with a paper towel, and that works too, but I had someone tell me that its easier and faster to apply it with the standard stick O' butter and I gotta agree. I found the stick of butter is easier to work with, but butter straight out of a tub is fine, just apply it with a paper towel. The key is to get the butter on the pipes as fast as possible while the pipe is still cold, I found the I can apply the stick of butter faster than the paper towel method.

Have you tried the 'freeze-butter method' ? When I installed my PTR mids I had the same problems. What ya have to do is put the pipes in your freezer, this will shrink down the pipe ever-so-slightly. Keep the pipes in the freezer overnight. Now get a stick of butter ready and as soon as they come out of the freezer rub the butter all over on the pipe. Have your quad standing in the wheelie position when you go to install the pipes, it makes it a lot easier. The combination of the frozen\shrunken pipe molecules, the butter and standing the bike vertical will make the job easier. Sometimes PTR's fit right in, but sometimes they don't, and thats when the freeze-butter method comes in handy. Good luck and take some pictures of the process.

forget to add.... rub the frame rails down with the butter too.

thanks man, and yes they have changed them with the PTR mids, mine are high rev's meaning they are a bit bigger. I will try to leave them in the freezer over night, cause they will shrink a bit, if not more, and what kind of butter to put on em, the one we eat, or is it a special kind of butter to apply?? And i dont know how im going to put the bike in wheelie position since its all apart, and its still in my basement. And i cant put it in wheelie position, since its go no carrier, nothing just a bare frame with the motor on it. Before i do this, has anyone go any better ideas?? incase this one dont work, i mean you guys saw the pics it keeps on hitting the frame. let me know thanks in advance

every member that has tried the freeze/butter method has stated that it worked for them. the only advice i can give you is calm down, take a deep breath, relax, and tell your old man to go smash his own fuckin shit if he gets pissed off. quite often, 10 or 15 minutes of logical thinking can save hours of frustrated struggling. if you get to the point that you want to smash something, smash something useless, not a set of chromed exhaust pipes. :confused: or even better, walk away from it and leave it alone until you've calmed down.

i'd have to agree with all of the other guys that the pipes should be a universal fit. i could be wrong, but in this case, i doubt it.

Good luck

thanks man, and yes they have changed them with the PTR mids, mine are high rev's meaning they are a bit bigger. I will try to leave them in the freezer over night, cause they will shrink a bit, if not more, and what kind of butter to put on em, the one we eat, or is it a special kind of butter to apply?? And i dont know how im going to put the bike in wheelie position since its all apart, and its still in my basement. And i cant put it in wheelie position, since its go no carrier, nothing just a bare frame with the motor on it. Before i do this, has anyone go any better ideas?? incase this one dont work, i mean you guys saw the pics it keeps on hitting the frame. let me know thanks in advance

You really don't have to have to stand the quad up vertically, it helps, but its not necessary. And someone wrote not to use margarine because "it might ruin the finish", I can't agree or disagree with that statement cause I'v always used butter, but I'd bet that margarine would be fine as long as you wiped it off soon after you get the pipes installed. Lay the butter on thick.

If I could get your help now. Could you please take some pictures of the process so we can pin it on the forum for future use. Everytime I'v done the procedure, I forgot to take pictures. A video would be awesome. Also the pictures would help us if you still can't get your pipes on for some reason.

I didn't know PTR changed their design between the J-arm and A-arm frames. Iv never heard that before. Where did you get that info from ? Has anyone else here at bhq heard of that ?

I was just on the Duncan Racing website looking at Paul Turner pipes. They show one part number for Mid pipes and one part number for High Rev pipes and they should fit all years. Hell, he should be able to get them on there, I was able to get a set of cut T3s on an a arm bike, i just had to put a tiny dimple in them to clear the tie rods.The butter trick should work although I have never had to resort to that.

every member that has tried the freeze/butter method has stated that it worked for them. the only advice i can give you is calm down, take a deep breath, relax, and tell your old man to go smash his own fuckin shit if he gets pissed off. quite often, 10 or 15 minutes of logical thinking can save hours of frustrated struggling. if you get to the point that you want to smash something, smash something useless, not a set of chromed exhaust pipes. :confused: or even better, walk away from it and leave it alone until you've calmed down.

i'd have to agree with all of the other guys that the pipes should be a universal fit. i could be wrong, but in this case, i doubt it.

Good luck

thanks man, i will try to do this by myself, since my dad gets so fucking pissed, hell im still mad at him and i still have the temptation to put a whole or a small dent in his fucking head. Again for those who dont get that i didnt dent them up, well it was my dad who dented them, i just wanted his help to help me push them in, and he saw that it didnt work, so he got really pissed off and dented them with the hammer :angry: , anyways, i will try the butter, i will probably put the pipes in the freezer and try it tomorrow. I will also take some pictures so you guys can pin them for future reference in case it does work. Problem is i dont currently have any butter, But will some wd40 or some of that vaseline that you use for the arms, and shit, im sure that will work also, since it slips just as fine. Ill let you guys know tomorrow if it worked or not, and if not, then we have to come up with a better idea? thanks everyone

I dunno... I wouldn't recommend using any sort of chemical based lube on chrome pipes. If your pipes are black, then you can lube em with just about anything. Go to the store, spend the two dollars on a coupla of sticks of butter or margarine. There's a good reason why people recommend butter and not chemicals. If you ruin the finish on your pipes from using a chemical based lube, don't holler at me. I was always told 'there's a right way and wrong way to do everything'. Butter is the right way IMO. Lay it on thick.

it's really the thermal properties of the butter that does the trick, plus the chemical process to keep the suface tension lower on the ouside, than the inside, much the same as watter wetter or engine ice works in your cooling system. you know that old trick of putting butter on a burn that used to work good, but was unsanitary. it's much like that in how it works on the boil. petroleum products might not work well, and something like liquid soap or wd40 would be too thin....possibly 4-5 tubes of neosporin each, but that could get pricey. butter is cheap, and works good. i had to do it on my left pro-circuit, ince it was pretty mangled when i got it, and i couldn't get it to both line up with the silencer, and go in easy. i tried some wheel bearing grease, to no avail, since it just took the cold in real quick and held it...kind of sucked to have to clean it and do it again the next day. just go with butter the first time, and save the hassle...wish i thaught to take vid, but i was too embarresed to admit that i didn't get it perfect. it might help to set the frame upside-down so you can wiggle it on the head, and start with it rolled away from the frame a little to get it seated, then roll it in. you don't have but a few minuets to do it, so that would be the way i can see getting it in the best the first time. concentrate on getting it over the head squarely, and you may want to clean and chamfer the edges where the pipe first slips over. a thin coating there of grease, or butter will help, too. if it still catches the frame, push the stinger end tward the clutch and bump it in with your hip, it should go.....don't forget to get vid or pics so i can show what i'm talking about next time....you're not the first, and i can't always post this long....

well guys i have some good news and some bad news also. good news is, i got them in with out using butter of putting them in the freezer. the right pipe sits on the cylinder perfect, but the left doesnt fully go on the cylinder hole. but it doesn't stick out that much which is good, any ways, bad news is, i need new pipe hangers, that are more wider, since the stock ones are not wide enough to reach em. But over all i mounted them on and the silencers also, all i need is some hangers, and some pipe clamps, and clean and change the packaginn in the silencers, ill take some pics

well guys i have some good news and some bad news also. good news is, i got them in with out using butter of putting them in the freezer. the right pipe sits on the cylinder perfect, but the left doesnt fully go on the cylinder hole. but it doesn't stick out that much which is good, any ways, bad news is, i need new pipe hangers, that are more wider, since the stock ones are not wide enough to reach em. But over all i mounted them on and the silencers also, all i need is some hangers, and some pipe clamps, and clean and change the packaginn in the silencers, ill take some pics

I FUCKING TOLD you they fit man...jesus christ..what did i tell you 10 times man...ermmmm.. Just shim the hangers with some washers like i said 10 times yesterday and be done, easy piezzy up and easy. For the clamps, for now just use some heater core hose or hydraulic hose for 25 cents at the hardware store with worm clamps and be done. Once you put GOOD NEW pipe springs on and lube up the o-rings in the pipes, the pipes will snug up to the cyl right away or when you get the motor warm.

I got some regular pipe hangers .if yours are broken or cracked. $10 shipped.