need info on stock reed mod

2003sheeman

hey was wondering if someone out there can give some info on hogging out the stock reed cages and wondering if i can jet my carbs out to a 190 from a 180 and it not hurt anything

upgrades i have done to the bike are

bored out to a 64.50

milled head (.020") shaved

fmf gnarley pipes and power cores

fmf boost bottle

and of course the famous air box lid removal

reed spacers about a half inch

just dont think my bike is running out as good as it was before i fabricated the spacers outta 1/4 inch aluminum took 2 of them and used orange rtv and sealed them together was that a smart move or should i get them welded tgether?

any info would help

thanks

jeff

first off, how the heck is your motor still running, w/only a 190 main? second, you can't get down as you increase airflow.

ok my bad i ment 280 is in there now would it hurt to go to a 290 i was trying to do things at once and as you see it down work

and what you mean by you can get down as you increase air flow?? banghead

i mean you can't jet down, meaning go down in jet sizes, which would lean out the motor, as you increase airflow, either by pods, or by airbox lid removal, or by porting, etc. anytime you give the engine more air, you need to give it more fuel as to keep the proper air/fuel mixture. also, you aren't going to hurt anything by increasing your main jet size. i'm surprised you don't need a 310 main or so.

well, you need to do a plug chop to see where you're jetting is.....there is a pinned topic in jetting that describes how.....next, your performance issues can come from the reed spacers being on the cylinder side. for some engines, it works, just a little, and others it creates problems in performance. when it makes problems, you put them on the carb side of the reeds... what is your temps and elevation?

well i live in mississippi and temps here are crazy yesterday it was 50's today 60's and no telling tomorrow i wanna say im 500+above sea level but not really sure so are you saying remove the spacers and put them to the carb side what will this to the motor i thought it would rive the reeds a bit of a twist puttin them to the jug side? well anything will help and ill try this out when i know you get this message

so you think i need to go to a 320 or so main jet?

thanks again

well i live in mississippi and temps here are crazy yesterday it was 50's today 60's and no telling tomorrow i wanna say im 500+above sea level but not really sure so are you saying remove the spacers and put them to the carb side what will this to the motor i thought it would rive the reeds a bit of a twist puttin them to the jug side? well anything will help and ill try this out when i know you get this message

so you think i need to go to a 320 or so main jet?

thanks again

I have toomey t5's, kn pods with no air box and im running 320 mains. im about 1100 ft above sea level. in the 60's and 70's range