How hard should a 4 mill run?

crustydemon

Try checking your stator with a multimeter, the instructions are in the FAQ's. I am running 140 mains @ 5000 feet, and it feels incredible, temps are as low as 50 degrees. I think you need more octane, I am running about 175 psi, and run straight av gas. make sure your spark plug gas is about .025, and try some new plugs. I came from stock stroke non ported too where I am now, and the difference is day and night.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I didnt get as far as I had hoped today but I did drain the fuel and now I have a 50/50 mix of 92 and 110 and 32:1 techniplate. I Put the 160 mains back in but have not tried it out yet. I did warm it up and then tried to rev it out(It still didnt rev right), I just happened to have the seat off and noticed a popping coming from the carbs. Could this possibly be my reeds not sealing against the cages?I ported my cages quite thin but the petals did have a area to sit on when I installed them.

maybe thats detonation ?? maybe you should run straight AV gas or race gas ..im lucky i pretty much live next to a small airport where i can buy like 102 octane

The popping is not detonation. Ive got a card for the airport pumps to get avgas 24hrs a day if I wanted but we have race gas on hand 110 and 114. I just didnt want to have to rely on it if I wanted to go on a trip somewhere that I couldnt get it.

Unless I'm mistaken, the higher octane gas like the 110 and so on won't really make it run any better or have more hp. It just protects against detonation at a higher level which is usually required on a built motor, but mostly depending on the compression ratio. That being said, you should be running 110 or so to keep from frying your motor. But I don't think that's the root of your problems. It could very easily just be the reeds, dirty carbs, poor spark, etc. It's probably something simple bud, it's just a matter of narrowing it down.

Gearing is 14-41 on little 18 inch rears.

I think this is a huge part of your problem..You are wayy under geared for the power that thing is putting out.On 18 inch tires you should be running a 16-41..I would go 15-41 on 20's

Your engine should make enough torque to pull those gears and then some.I run a knarly pipe on my 4mill and Im running 15-41 with 22's!

I think this is a huge part of your problem..You are wayy under geared for the power that thing is putting out.On 18 inch tires you should be running a 16-41..I would go 15-41 on 20's

Your engine should make enough torque to pull those gears and then some.I run a knarly pipe on my 4mill and Im running 15-41 with 22's!

That very well could be, I have a set of 20in. razar's I could try. Anyway I changed the reed cages and petals and got rid of the spacers and I think that made a huge difference. Havent had time to jet today but hopefully get back to it Sunday.

I was gonna say if you ported your stock cages you should look into getting some one piece reeds...... tdr makes a set....

what I mean by that is there is not a slit in the middle of the peddle where it sits on the cage.....

Yeah, Ive seen them but dont know what I want yet. I just thought I was doing something good by porting them but it was just a waste of time. I just wanted to save a couple hundred bucks but I guess I'll eventually end up getting some vforce or pyramids. Ive had this problem before but not quite so bad, I must overtighten the screws and it lifts the petals but I am always afraid of having a screw come out. I couldnt get the petals that I took out of it today to seal against a different set of cages either so now I got the low tension petals in instead of the stiffer ones but It is running better and havent noticed any popping through the carbs yet.