Help

OK...... won't start. Its my friends banshee. He said it got hot like a year ago and never ran the same. He is the mechanically inclined one, so just bear with me. This thing has been sitting in my garage for a month and trying to get him to get over here to work on it is like pulling teeth. SO....... wouldn't start, pull started it and it ran for like a week, but we always had to pull start it everytime, after it got warm if it died you could get lucky and it would start with the kick. Finally it wouldn't start anymore at all.

He had the head machined after it got hot. Also replaced the head gasket.

Now we tore it apart, honed cylinders, new top end kit with new rings.

wouldn't start.

He checked out the flywheel and said it was fine. Pulled it off and looked at key.

So I put it back together tried to kick it and nothing.

yes the tube connecting the carbs is on.

I prob screwed up cause i got frustrated and started screwing with the carbs, just the bigger screws on the top. Then fuel started coming out the bottom. So i turned everything back to the way it was ( i counted the turns while i was doing all of this)

used a propane torch to dry the plugs off

put starting fluid in the cylinders still nothing.

no backfire no nothing.

Really the only reason I care is because there are some banshees around here for sale for like 3000- 3500. I'd like to get one cause i thought they were fairly easy to work on and reliable but this is starting to scare me. Any help or reassurance?

I'm not a total motor idiot, i just don't know details.

first things first you need the 3 basic things to run a motor compression fuel and fire so i would start from there does this machine still have the tors unit still on the carbs if so i would look at that parking brake switch or it could have an air leak. an air leak would make it get hot and i would bet thats what could be wrong the more i think about it read up on leakdown tests and do that to lut us know how you make out

try new plugs and pull off plug wires put plug in wire and lay on top of motor and see if u have spark sounds like u dont have any spark make sure coil and all wires are still plugged in and all of your tors system is either all pugged in or all unplugged / try unplugging the tors box to the left of coil under gas tank

Got it to start tonight. I checked to make sure carbs were syncd, adjusted throttle free play, checked tors, its good but I just left it unhooked, did a spark test and at first only had spark every once in awhile, took a microfiber cloth and wiped them off. Checked spark again and had good bright blue/white spark. Tightened idle screws all the way then backed them off a turn. ( that stopped the overflow problem) Kicked it a few times and nothing, gave it a little throttle and it sounded like it wanted to start, kicked it again and it started but wouldn't idle. Adjusted idle screws until it would idle. Bled the cylinders, and went outside to get some fresh air cause it was smoking like crazy. Prob a good thing though cause we just rebuilt it. Let it run, then shut it off to see if it would start again and it did.

Shut it off and went inside to get a victory beer. Cracked open my great tasting bud light and took the most refreshing drink of beer i've had in a long time.

SET MY BEER DOWN, WENT TO START IT AGAIN AND NOTHING. Pulled the plugs, their soaked. Wiped them off with the towel again. Now I have no spark, well one spark about every four to five kicks. WTF

Got it to start tonight. I checked to make sure carbs were syncd, adjusted throttle free play, checked tors, its good but I just left it unhooked, did a spark test and at first only had spark every once in awhile, took a microfiber cloth and wiped them off. Checked spark again and had good bright blue/white spark. Tightened idle screws all the way then backed them off a turn. ( that stopped the overflow problem) Kicked it a few times and nothing, gave it a little throttle and it sounded like it wanted to start, kicked it again and it started but wouldn't idle. Adjusted idle screws until it would idle. Bled the cylinders, and went outside to get some fresh air cause it was smoking like crazy. Prob a good thing though cause we just rebuilt it. Let it run, then shut it off to see if it would start again and it did.

Shut it off and went inside to get a victory beer. Cracked open my great tasting bud light and took the most refreshing drink of beer i've had in a long time.

SET MY BEER DOWN, WENT TO START IT AGAIN AND NOTHING. Pulled the plugs, their soaked. Wiped them off with the towel again. Now I have no spark, well one spark about every four to five kicks. WTF

sounds like what i was going through u think u have one and then when u have its trust it turns around n kicks u in that nuts... but i sounds your strator to me so i would get a tester and check ur resistance

you didn't fix the overflow problem........you need to clean the carbs and check the float height and float needles. the carbs leaked into the engine. if it fills enough, it will bend a rod or damage a piston from fuel suddenly filling the chamber and not compressing. yes, it has happened. when you have the carbs done, pull the plugs and kick it over fast untill it stops spitting fuel. there will also be fuel in the pipes. good practice to shut the fuel off, then kill the engine

So I didn't have a lot of time tonight so this is just for an update. When we had the top end apart I took carb cleaner and used the straw that comes with it and sprayed carb cleaner in all of the holes, not just a shot either but I really tried to soak it all down. I didn't take the carbs themselves apart, but did the best I could to clean them. I'm probably going to take them off and take them apart and clean them.

When I said the plugs were soaked it was more venting with frustration. When I messed with it tonight I kicked it a couple of times and pulled the plugs. I would call it damp. When I kicked it with the plugs out it doesn't "spit" gas, more like a puff.

Now I have a good spark but its intermittent. Once or twice on one kick but sometimes to many to count. I don't understand how I could have really good consistent spark one second and then spotty the next. I'm hoping just a bad ground somewhere? I don't thinks its the spark plugs loosing contact with the head. I got them kinda wedged in there so they don't move while I'm kicking.

Need to get a better multimeter so I can check resistance on the strator.

check the pickup gap and inspect the harness, especially by the exhaust. also, replace your plug caps(boots)

so I did a lot of checking. did a resistance test on the coil, when i go from the end of the spark plug wire to the lead on the end of the coil i get nothing, so i'm thinking that the coil is bad..... tested strator and it tested in line with the book so i guess thats fine. time for a new coil then i'll let you know. thanks for all the help