spark plug wire swap?

bansheesh

Okay so my bike is basically stock minus the pipes. My buddy has a modded 700r and said he gained more spark by switching to an msd type plug wire instead of getting a whole new coil. Can I do this?

Yes, there is some spark energy to be gained by using different plug wire, coils, etc. My common configuration is OE coil with larger, low resistance wire and a resistor type plug (BR8ES). The resistor plug seems to suppress enough back voltage to protect ciruits and the lower resistance wire will transfer more energy from the coil to the plug. Remember that V=IR. Also remember that voltage is what jumps gaps, not amperage.

Brandon

Mull Engineering

Yes, there is some spark energy to be gained by using different plug wire, coils, etc. My common configuration is OE coil with larger, low resistance wire and a resistor type plug (BR8ES). The resistor plug seems to suppress enough back voltage to protect ciruits and the lower resistance wire will transfer more energy from the coil to the plug. Remember that V=IR. Also remember that voltage is what jumps gaps, not amperage.

Brandon

Mull Engineering

How did you go about swapping out the wires with a stock coil. I have tried this in the past and have not had much luck. The plastic clip seemed to break very easily and the glue didnt want to come out to put new wires in.

How did you go about swapping out the wires with a stock coil. I have tried this in the past and have not had much luck. The plastic clip seemed to break very easily and the glue didnt want to come out to put new wires in.

The stockers are about a 7mm wire. you can fit 8mm, and 9mm with a lot of work. What we have done in the past is mfg tube collars and swedge the end to make them stay.

B