Boring Cylinders

blaster2006

Ok, well, i wanted to get my cylinders bored, a good friend of mine ( who has mechanic experience) helped me remove them, to get them ready for boring. But once we removed the cylinders + pistons, he took a look at them and said they are perfect. And to me they also look really good. The pistons look really well, still bright silver color and no deep scratches. the cylinder walls are also really smooth, no deep scracthes whatsoever, there are ofcourse alot of small scracthes which i beleive are called the liners?. Anyway, it has been running for almost 4 years now... and a good amount of use on it.. i ride it almost everyday for the past year ive had it ( bought it used,1 year ago). I did a compression test about 6 months ago and it was 115 each cylinder... since then like i said i rode it everyday. So im guessing the compression would probably be 105-110 now.

My friend is strongly recommending me i DONT bore them out, but, he is not THAT well mechanicly experienced, and i personally dont beleive you can tell if it needs boring from just looking at them, he told me he guarantees me it will run for 2 more years easily, and anyway im planning to sell it in may 2010. So basically i need it to run for the next 7 months, and be able to sell it.

He told me i should just get new rings and a gasket kit, thats all it needs, but again its been running for a LONG time, and im pretty sure its at about 105-110 PSI, not sure what to do, any suggestions?

have the cylinders measured with bore guages in a few spots up and down the cylinder and left to right in a few spots, thats how to tell if you need a bore. you probably couldn't really tell it was out of round or anything by just looking. if there were no obvious signs of wear and it measures within tolerance, i would say re ring it and new gaskets should be plenty sufficient, make sure to hone them too, with a good crosshatch.

X2 On what duneman said. If the guy thinks he can see if there perfectly round with his eyes only well then he is full of shit or super man. Dope.gif

Definitely get them checked out with a measuring device.. When my top end blew, the cylinder walls looked perfect but upon further inspection by a boring shop the guy found some deep gauges. Also just out of curiosity why do you have a planned date on selling it?