Just a hone?

quikshee

It's about time for a rebuild and I got a really good deal on a set of brand new stock bore rings to go with my stock 64mm cylinders. My stock port motor has 106 PSI in the left cylinder and 108 PSI in the right. My question is, what are the chances that my cylinders will be out of round? I know the only real way to tell is to have them measured, which I plan to do. I'm just waiting on my digital caliper to get here. :ph34r:

Seeing as my compression isn't too awful bad, it would seem that the wear wouldn't be major and I could get away with just a hone for now...:shrugani:

Let me know what you guys think.

some compression gauge's only thread in a couple of turns, and if that happends you will get a lower reading.

it would suck to rebuild if you didnt have too, which gauge were you using ?.

no quick shee, you need a proper bore gauge because the pistons wear in differant places in the bore as its a recipicating mass, the middles of the bores get most of the wear.

Edited by dirtydownunder

some compression gauge's only thread in a couple of turns, and if that happends you will get a lower reading.

it would suck to rebuild if you didnt have too, which gauge were you using ?.

no quick shee, you need a proper bore gauge because the pistons wear in differant places in the bore as its a recipicating mass, the middles of the bores get most of the wear.

I'm using my gauge from harbor freight. I'm still on the original top end and it's a 95', so I would imagine it's about time.

Looks like I'll just run em down to the shop in town and get them measured and see what a hone will cost.

Ya learn something new everyday, thanks guys.:headbang:

Dearborn will be a little to far, I appreciate the offer :cheers:.

Rodneya, not knocking your advice, but wouldn't I just measure at the top of the cylinder then flip it over and do the same to the bottom?

To measure out of round and taper you have to measure in two directions at the top, middle and bottom of the bore. Calipers are not accurate enough, and you can not measure the middle.

And it is not my advice, it is how every machine shop does it.

Take a look at the stickies at the top of one of the forums. There is a copy of the manual you can download.