34 mm pj adjustment, Runs wild down low but top......

Ok gettin chilly here in michigan so i had a day off to play with the carbs and decided to tinker with the choke screw and have found that it appears to run down low way harder, but my 5-6 gears are totally lean, enough so that it just wont pull any rpm what so ever. I know i gotta tinker with the main to fix the top. However would I be wrong by trying to close the choke/idle screw all the way in and using my carb top adjusters to get a good idle? Mods in sig. :confused:

Ok gettin chilly here in michigan so i had a day off to play with the carbs and decided to tinker with the choke screw and have found that it appears to run down low way harder, but my 5-6 gears are totally lean, enough so that it just wont pull any rpm what so ever. I know i gotta tinker with the main to fix the top. However would I be wrong by trying to close the choke/idle screw all the way in and using my carb top adjusters to get a good idle? Mods in sig. :confused:

You should beable to get it to idle with the choke/idle nobs and the airscrew. What is your jetting now? How did your top get so lean that it wont pull higher gears without burning it up its pulling off the main at 5/8 to wot reguardless of what gear its in. To give you a decent starting point im running 34pjs on a 385cc 4millcub "65mm" trinty pipes with cel needles on the 2nd clip from top, air screws are 1.5 turns out with a 50pilot and a 155 main @900ft evevation. I ran a stk stroke with them and dune/drag cylinders 42 pilot and the cel needles all the way lean with a 148main I believe its been awhile on that one.

Edited by RILS

I have 34pjs on a dune ported 4mil right now with 50 pilots, air screws 3/4 turn out (probably could use a 52) CEL needles in the middle, and 160 mains with shearer pipes and Pod filters at sea level. You should not need to do as you are saying to get them to idle properly. have you synched them? Have you checked motor for air leaks? Check your jetting and post it up here.

my jetting is 55 pilot, cel on middle clip, with 155 main.

i currently am using velocity stacks(screened) with no pods to dial in my ice setup. the plug reads lean up top even with my pods on instead of my stacks. I'll try to set up a leak down test. any other ideas mucho appreciated.

brett

Can you explain more about what the bike is doing? Also what kind of fuel are you running with those 16CC domes? When I had that much compression I could only run VP C12 in my bike no other fuel would work. Does the bike tend to fall on its face at high RPM, you should be able to determine this by 3 or 4 the gear. Also what gearing are you running, and tire size?

Ok, the bike pulls through to 4 then just wont rev and falls out of the power band. as far as the compression I am running sunoco 110 with bel ray synthetic at 40:1. I went up in the main and it still looks lite brown on a br9 plug. I run the br9 plug to try to help with keeping the heat down with the compression and timing i have. Could this be an ignition problem due to an RM STATOR failing and eating the inside of my fly wheel. The main question is will the bike run better if i can get it to idle even though the choke/idle screw is in all the way.

also the gearing is 14-41 on 20 inch tire

Edited by trickedcarbine