New Banshee owner here, doing complete resto?

Well, I've always wanted a Banshee, love 2strokes, but never had one with wheels before, lol. Anywho, I picked up an 87' that needed some serious resto for 500$. Basically its a rolling chassis with the shocks and steering installed (2001 shocks), all the bearings are good, no play. The rest was all disassembled, plastics are off of it, and engine needs a top end. When I got it, all the little parts, carbs, brake parts, every nut and bolt was in a big mash inside a plastic bin, which must have been left outside at one point because everything in there is covered in rust, the engine was left indoors thankfully.

Now the frame and all the parts on it are freshly painted and powdercoated, new handlebars, etc. Engine is all shined up, old pistons are already taken out, and cylinders are off. I got new cylinders which were ported by a shop with the banshee, still needs a new head though.

What I want to do is pretty much replace everything on this thing, full stainless bolt kit (115$ on Ebay), all new calipers, stainless braided brake lines, T5 exhaust, K&N intake, new handlebar hardware, seat cover, new plastics, etc. I priced it around 1350-1500$ to buy pretty much every part, including a forged rebuild kit.

Now I've never worked on a Banshee before, nor have I seen one stripped down. What would be the best way for me to put this thing all back together? Anyone ever made a step by step thread on this? (guessing not), or are their manuals that would be great for doing this?

Here is the Banshee, needs new plastics because they were painted and it didnt bond, so it just kind of flakes off.

forsale014.jpg

Edited by Velislide

well first welcome to the hq. Theres tons of stuff on this website just search it first and most likely you will find it. theres a downloadable clymers manual in the pinned section. or you could go on ebay and get one. which i def suggest. good luck

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I've always wanted a Banshee, love 2strokes, but never had one with wheels before, lol. Anywho, I picked up an 87' that needed some serious resto for 500$. Basically its a rolling chassis with the shocks and steering installed (2001 shocks), all the bearings are good, no play. The rest was all disassembled, plastics are off of it, and engine needs a top end. When I got it, all the little parts, carbs, brake parts, every nut and bolt was in a big mash inside a plastic bin, which must have been left outside at one point because everything in there is covered in rust, the engine was left indoors thankfully.

The box was left outside .... I figured there was nothing in there that wasnt going to be replaced anyways if i were to have kept going on it ...... Engine has been inside the bed room for years ... For $500 -- I doubt anyone will ever find anything remotely near the condition... I know a guy who sold his jarm frame for $400 .......I did have a 4+ chrome swinger , Chrome J-arms , Chrome shocks from a oldschool harley , Ect but,,, I got rid of them awhile back to a friend in MPLS.....

The parts alone that are there are worth twice that all day .. The wheels alone costed me a few hundred , The bars were $75 , New Bumper was $160 or so.... cylinders were $360+shipping.. Like i have always said & i will go to my grave with this -- I have about $3000 into that damn thing .... I got lost on the build... with a 07 LTR & so many cars to build -- I cant do the banshee anymore .....

I hated selling it but,,,, It would just rot away if i kept it.........

Now the frame and all the parts on it are freshly painted and powdercoated, new handlebars, etc. Engine is all shined up, old pistons are already taken out, and cylinders are off. I got new cylinders which were ported by a shop with the banshee, still needs a new head though.

What I want to do is pretty much replace everything on this thing, full stainless bolt kit (115$ on Ebay), all new calipers, stainless braided brake lines, T5 exhaust, K&N intake, new handlebar hardware, seat cover, new plastics, etc. I priced it around 1350-1500$ to buy pretty much every part, including a forged rebuild kit.

Now I've never worked on a Banshee before, nor have I seen one stripped down. What would be the best way for me to put this thing all back together? Anyone ever made a step by step thread on this? (guessing not), or are their manuals that would be great for doing this?

Here is the Banshee, needs new plastics because they were painted and it didnt bond, so it just kind of flakes off.

Didnt bond ???? Them plastics have had paint on them for years ....... Theres no other way to paint plactics besides scuff , Use adhesion promoter , flexible primer & add flex agent to the clear.. Once paint chips - It continues to flake from there & i know where the chips were .... Unless you were flexing the plastics beyond paints capability of adhesion - Then it will crack & chip......

Another thing to remember about painting plastics is that it wont last forever ... Because of the release agents & stuff embedded into it .... paint over Fiberglass lasts longer

Man,,, What are you doing over there ????????

forsale014.jpg