Why is my carb dripping fuel?

I_Ride

Went out to play with the bike last night and I noticed that it was dripping fuel. I looked and it was coming out of the overflow tube that comes out of the bottom of the right carb. I find this odd because I haven't touched the carbs in a while and it has never leaked a drop.

So I turned the fuel off until I found the problem. Is it a big deal? What could be stuck open?

Also, does everyone leave their fuel on or turn it off when they are not riding? If you turn it off, why?

Went out to play with the bike last night and I noticed that it was dripping fuel. I looked and it was coming out of the overflow tube that comes out of the bottom of the right carb. I find this odd because I haven't touched the carbs in a while and it has never leaked a drop.

So I turned the fuel off until I found the problem. Is it a big deal? What could be stuck open?

Also, does everyone leave their fuel on or turn it off when they are not riding? If you turn it off, why?

What year is your Banshee? Have you ever had the carbs apart? It's probably a small deal to you, unless hydro-locking the crank, and having to rebuild, and/or replace a bunch of stuff is a minor detail to you. Turning off the gas at the tank is something I do every time I get done riding. I turn the gas off, because I think it's the smart thing to do, and I don't like taking stupid chances with combustible materials.

If it's the same bike in your sig, you might have some particles in the float needle causing it to not seat properly. As mentioned before your floats might need to be adjusted. The clymers manual helps out a lot on that matter. Thats happend to my shee i tried the two steps above and nothing worked, so i replaced the float needles and wah lah no more drips. Theres like a rubber seal on the float needle so when its closed no fuel goes to the bowls of the carbs. But since your bike is somewhat new i dont know if that might be the case but something you should look for though. i hope this helps bro

Well I finished cleaning the leaky carb and installed it back on the bike. Cranked right up first kick but it was reved pretty high, so I guess I f'd something up around the tor's and the top of the carb.

I was very careful and I did not bend the needle or anything like that.

What did I do wrong now!!!!!??????!!!!!

did you play w/the air screw? did you put the black rubber cross over tube back in between the carbs? do you accidently have the throttle cable tensioned some? did you mess w/the idle speed screw on the tors top?

did the carb stop leaking fuel at least....LOL.

Edited by mopar1rules

I did play with the air screw, I took it out to clean it. I first screwed it in all the way and counted how many turns it was (2 turns in) so when I replaced it I screwed it in all the way the two turns out.

The rubber cross back between the two carbs, yes.

Did I have the throttle cable tentioned some accidentaly. I'm not sure if I did it was accidental and I don't know about it yet lol.

I did not mess with the idle screw on top of the TORS.

Not sure if it quite leaking or not. I just installed the carb and started it up real quick and it was reved up so I killed it then cut the fuel back off till the morning when I figure out what to do with the dang thing........

Thanks for the help man.

OK, this morning went out to the bike and checked a few things around the carbs. Looks like I had one of the small short clear hoses hooked up where the black hose that runs between the two carbs connects.

So I corrected that I tried to start the bike and nothing. Now I'm hoping that I don't have to go back and clean both carbs out. If that hose was left off and the bike fired up for about 3 seconds, would that have sucked anything into my carbs to stop them up? I did check each plug and there were both wet with fuel after I tried kicking the bike........

WHAT NEXT? lol Seems like it's never ending, but I guess it's my fault......

Just finished a thorogh cleaning of the leaky carb and I turn the fuel on and I'm letting it sit to see if it leaks again.

This time I connected all the hoses in the correct spots, unlike last time when I forgot to connect the small hose running between the 2 carbs but instead I connected a clear overflow hose at that point instead.

Before I cleaned the leaky carb for the second time I tried to start the bike and it wouldn't start, then I found that I hadn't connected that small hose between the two carbs so I hooked it up and the bike still wouldn't start.

Since that hose wasn't connected could something have gotten into the carbs and could be causing the bike not to start? Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm ready to get this dang thing running!

******Also let me add that the bike was running after I cleaned the leaky carb except that it was reved a good bit higher than normal and after that is when I found that I hadn't hooked up the hose between the two carbs......

Edited by I_Ride

Got it going!

Not sure what it was but quickshee suggested trying to crank it again with the carb connctor hose off and I did and nothing happened so I plugged it back up and it cranked right up. Kinda odd....

But to fix the leak I'm going to have to adjust the float and it should be good, thanks everyone....

you don't adjust the air screw by the # of turns you thread it in from when it starts to thread in.....you thread the screws in all the way until seated and then count the # of turns that you start to uncrew/open up the air passage. set your air screws to 1-1/2 to 2 turns out from seated. glad to hear you got it up and going.

If it still leaks, check the o-ring on the outside of the seat. It seals the seat to the carb body. When mine did this, I replaced the o-ring and it stopped the leak. I always turn the gas off when the bike is shut off for longer than 15 minutes, so that it doesn't leak on the ground or into the cylinders.