Trail and MX Setup

drlguy

I have an 02 banshee I want to set up for mx and trail riding. The bike already has Durablue +2 axle, and +2 front control arms. The front tires are 23x7x10, and the rears are 20x11x9 sitting on stock rims. The motor has a coolhead with 20cc domes, v force 3 reeds, 4deg timing advance, aluminum water pump impeller, toomey t5's, umi filter with stock airbox minus the snorkel, and stock carb with larger jets, needle change and torrs elimination, and am running stock radiator with engine ice.

I am looking to wake her up a little but I want to maintain reliability. I do a lot of riding in silt mines, logging trails, mud and snow. The motor has low hours on it and when I put the head on it the cylinders looked perfect. I am thinking about a port/polish and carb upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions about the porting/polish and carb upgrade? Is there anything I should look out for. Any tricks for freshening up the top end? pistons, rings? The motor still has the stock clutch. Any way to make shifting easier like the new bikes out there?

Other things I would like to do include: Nerf bars with IMS footpegs and heel guards. Fasst handle bars (are they worth it? Should I raise the stem height and go wider for trail riding?), steering stabilizer (preferably built into the stem, maybe elka?) New Shocks (elka, works?.)Lighter rims (hiper dual beadlock?)

post-33585-12525524230581_thumb.jpg

Get rid of the T5 pipes and the vf3 reeds. Use a low tension reed petal on the stock cage, and a set of low-mid pipes. If you get a trail port, those T5 pipes will narrow out the power band and turn the power on/off like a light switch towards the midrange and pull to the top end.

Sounds like you may want to look into a mx port. Your stock carbs will probably work pretty good for that type of riding. Call Jeff at FAST Racing, he will take good care of ya. http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/index.asp As far as the nerfs go, check out AC Propegs with the heel guards. They have a nice wide foot peg like the IMS. I have had works and Elkas for shocks and the Elkas are so much better it aint even funny. However the works were alot better than the stock shocks and didn't cost very much. The dual bead lock wheels are probably a little over kill and very expensive, look into some ITP Bajas. I have never ran the fast flex bars, but the guys on here that have them swear by them. Here is a very good transmission upgrade write up. http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119164