ultimate short track motor?

cjcrete

All of the sleeves protrude out the bottom even stock, and if your talking about it protruding out the top putting a spacer plate isnt goint to make the sleeve flush because it will not move in the cylinder? A 4mm can be done with cut domes which in my mind is the best and let the piston pop out the top it doesnt pop out past the rings anyway so it makes zero difference. Another way is using a spacer which is just another place for a leak but will work just fine either way the motor needs to be ported to gain the benefit from the added stroke length.

Ok so whats the positive of stroking a short track motor over a stock stoke motor, its like 1000.00 dollars more to build will you notice a difference in power? More torq? pull harder?

Ok so whats the positive of stroking a short track motor over a stock stoke motor, its like 1000.00 dollars more to build will you notice a difference in power? More torq? pull harder?

It makes more torque because the stroke is increased.

You do need to lower it maximize the low end power you can get though.

No you don't, for what you will pay to resleeve cylinders for a lower exh and not to even talk about the fact that the sleeve will overlap the ali if its lowered its not worth it.. You can run a high transfer with even a exh duration of 185 degrees with a good blowdown, you will have TONS of low down power. I build LOTS of motors for low down and I will tell you, you will not believe the power.

In theory a low exh port is what you think will work, but running the right compression and getting the time area right on a exh port with makes a setup killer. No need for lots of money and resleeving. I will go 4mm.

To the original poster, contact HJR, I know he will set you up..

if you want a tt, short track motor call jim at passion racing. thats where he started his work was building short track motors.

pro quad was at one time ranked with one in all that series of racing.

if you want a tt, short track motor call jim at passion racing. thats where he started his work was building short track motors.

pro quad was at one time ranked with one in all that series of racing.

Thanks for the input guys, Jim is one of the builders i had talked 2 seems 2 know his s&!$

No you don't, for what you will pay to resleeve cylinders for a lower exh and not to even talk about the fact that the sleeve will overlap the ali if its lowered its not worth it.. You can run a high transfer with even a exh duration of 185 degrees with a good blowdown, you will have TONS of low down power. I build LOTS of motors for low down and I will tell you, you will not believe the power.

In theory a low exh port is what you think will work, but running the right compression and getting the time area right on a exh port with makes a setup killer. No need for lots of money and resleeving. I will go 4mm.

To the original poster, contact HJR, I know he will set you up..

Your apparently not listening to what I am telling him. To do everything he can to get low end, he needs to lower the exhaust port. He didn't tell me he was worried about spending money. When you lower the exhaust port, you regrind it in the sleeve. If he builds a stroker motor, he is going to have to grind out aluminum anyway. So now think of the power it will make if he lowered the exhaust port, and matched the rest of the durations to it. This is how you squeeze out ALL the power.

Let me ask this: What pipes would you recommend he run for a low-mid setup?

Easy Snopczynski :smile: I believe in what you say but you don't need to put that kind of money and labor into the Banshee to be out front. We are talking short oval tracks right? Most of these tracks are stand on the throttle out of the hole stay pinned 90% of the time lift approaching the corner to set up and pined again before the apex. You don't need a ton of low end for this. I have built many of these short flat track motors. I have not had a problem putting the Banshee out front on ice or dirt oval tacks. Tell me the length of the track and straights and I can build the motor to be out front 4 stroke or 2. The 4 mil makes a great flat track motor setup right.

I guess my experience has been, if you get the holeshot and dont crash, you usually stay in front. Thats what we have seen from the LT500, and the ILR flat track bikes. So, the game to the ILR bikes was hooking up, and lots of oomph out of the hole.

Personally I dont get what the problem is here. The banshee motor makes a dam strong motor for flat track. My motor has enough lowend. Im not sure what kinda track you run but you shouldnt be in the low end very much anyhow. Get a 4 mill, Dune port, lighten the flywheel, raise compression, gear and jet it right and your done. Widen, lower it, and install an over ride if you can afford it.

Personally I dont get what the problem is here. The banshee motor makes a dam strong motor for flat track. My motor has enough lowend. Im not sure what kinda track you run but you shouldnt be in the low end very much anyhow. Get a 4 mill, Dune port, lighten the flywheel, raise compression, gear and jet it right and your done. Widen, lower it, and install an over ride if you can afford it.

There is no problem here, But there is a reason why thumpers are prefered on a short track - more torq less wheel spin and so on. Its not easy setting a banshee motor up to run short track against a 60 -65hp 450. Don't get me wrong, My non ported shee still kicks a$$ against most of the pro class with my chassis set-up We race short tracks hence the name, top speed around 40-50mph very tight corners short straights! bike is set up great just need some power, and try to control that violent wheel spin!

Small tracks require smooth power delivery if you want to run with well tuned 450's. Tracks that have room to stretch your legs.... a well built 4 mill on stock cylinders 75-80 RWHP will actually outrun 535 Cheetah's even on 1/2 miles. Big PV monoblock motors aka Cheetah's, T-rex etc. will have so much power loss due to lack of heat exchange that you'll be 25HP down by the 4th lap. There are exceptions to this, but it requires big changes in monoblock PV motors to get around it and it gets expensive. Proquad101 won the Nationals in Joplin 2 or three years ago on one of my long rod 370 strokers ( OPEN PRO CLASS ATVA). The biggest mistake made on short track motors is power delivery style. Too explosive and theres not enough room to make up for lost traction off the turn. To pipey of motor will not power off the turn and will not pull enough gear to give gearing options aproaching the turn in traffic. Flexability on gear choice while underway due to super flat torque curves and neverending top end rpm with smooth transition is what wins the BIG races....Jim

Edited by PassionRE