Bearing cages loose?

dave5.0

Got some new crank bearings today. Specifically asked for 10 ball Maxloads. They look like them but have a funky number on them. I think they are Chinese made. The bearings feel tight and roll fine but the ball cages are loose. When you roll them with the bearing in place you hear a tink tink. The cage spins with the balls, falls, gets picked up and falls. Can't imagine that will be good at 10000 rpm. Any input from a few of you smart guys?

Thats normal. I use2 work at bearing man 4 2years. If u take a brand new bearing and wash all the lubricant out it would do that. Its also common in c3 and c4 bearings. Thats the clearance. The c3 can run at a higher temp than normal and then the c4 evan higher. But they use the c4 4 viabrating applications. But if the bearing feels smooth and dsnt hav any play then its good. It will ofcoarse hav abit of play to aid 4 heat but u know what i mean.

The bearings are brand new. They feel tight and roll fine. I would imagine the cages would self center when they start spinning. I just hate to have one grenade on me. I'm doing all this because a clutch grenaded and I don't want to do it again soon if I can keep from it.

Well according to theory its bad to put a bearing in that can take much more load. The reason is the balls arnt loaded enough and start skidding at high speed. . .its beta to put a bearing in wich load and speed is to speck to what u want. If a bearing neva had a cage in it would pretty much last 4eva. . .but then the balls dont stay spaced. U get a full compliment bearing that has no spaces in between the balls and no cage. . But its 4 slow speed applications. Then u get a max load wich has a groove machined in to fit an extra ball in. . Helping with load. The thing with the cage is when ur crank starts accelerating its not realy the balls that take the punch. . Ok they do but its cause by the cage lag. .the ball accelerate but need to push the cage aswell and thats usualy the problm with bearing faliur. The cage screws up fucking the rest up. So u c a max load has more balls pushing against the cage so according to theory its nt good. . .but it aint realy a problm.Anyways whats the number on that bearing? Is it a BL305NR? Or what? Mayb i can c if its a crap make or what. . .u should put abit of oil on it. Ull notice the cage handling noise will go away. . I think its jst cause its dry

That's exactly what the number is. I took these pics. Not very good. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. I did take one bearing and lube it pretty well with pre mix oil. Spinning it then is when I noticed the noise.

This is my bearing, look at the gap in the cage from top to bottom.

mybearing2.jpg

This one I found online. See how the cage is centered all the way around?

p-11430.jpg

Ya i c what u mean. . .did the bearing come in a box or anything. . .i c the marking kinda looks like BTC'S marking. . Wich is a crap make made in china. Although u get snr wich is made in germany wich is very good and has the same markings. . .what u can do is rince the bearing so its dry. Then spin it as fast as u can holding the inner ring. If u feel a slite woble then its cage handling isnt rite. . .although sumtimes u only picup bad cage handling at higher speeds. But btc is crap and ull probly feel a woble. . .how much did u pay 4 them? And what company did u buy them from?

Ya i c what u mean. . .did the bearing come in a box or anything. . .i c the marking kinda looks like BTC'S marking. . Wich is a crap make made in china. Although u get snr wich is made in germany wich is very good and has the same markings. . .what u can do is rince the bearing so its dry. Then spin it as fast as u can holding the inner ring. If u feel a slite woble then its cage handling isnt rite. . .although sumtimes u only picup bad cage handling at higher speeds. But btc is crap and ull probly feel a woble. . .how much did u pay 4 them? And what company did u buy them from?

They came from Vito's. Ya I know they seem to sell alot of crap. They told me they were going to be NTNs. I asked as I was ordering them. They didn't come in a box which seemed alittle fishy. Just a flimsy plastic bag. They were $40 just like alot of other places. They also told me they were only $30 after I placed the order. Funny my bill didn't seem to reflect that. I already sent them an e-mail. Of course that was yesterday so I haven't heard back from them yet. You pretty much told me what I was looking for. I'll be getting some new ones. Sometimes you get lucky and find a deal. Not very often anymore though. Too many people like me are tightwads and have evened out the market. I looked all over for these things and even the local bearing shops wanted the same price as the online guys.

Well im 100% sure thats not ntn. Ntn always has ntn behind the bearing number and the writing is much smaller. That guys probly trying he's luck with u. . . .i hate pple like that. . .well i hope u come rite hey. . Shout if u need any bearing help again:)

They have always been kinda hit or miss. Some of there stuff is ok some of it is crap. I've ran their pistons and had 0 issues. I've also used some of their seals and gaskets and been ok. Copper base gasket leaked on me. If you know what to and what not to get they are ok. Kinda like car parts at Autozone. Wiper blades are ok but I wouldn't get a tranny there.

I just ordered a 10 Ball max load NTN Japanese, and a TZ roller from somewhere else. They are posted in big letters JAPANESE NOT CHINESE.

Thanks alot for the info.

Edited by dave5.0