400ex hare scramble setup

Hey i was wondering if you guys could make any suggestions for setting up a 400ex for hare scrambles. My buddy is going to be getting into it. Our local shop is telling him to put a lowering kit on it but to me that sounds completely wrong. He has a pretty good sponsor lined up so budget shouldnt be a problem. Let me know what you suggest. I am thinking about getting into it next year with my shee but all it's going to need is a woods port and suspension since it is pretty much already set up for low end power. Appreciate the help.

Hey i was wondering if you guys could make any suggestions for setting up a 400ex for hare scrambles. My buddy is going to be getting into it. Our local shop is telling him to put a lowering kit on it but to me that sounds completely wrong. He has a pretty good sponsor lined up so budget shouldnt be a problem. Let me know what you suggest. I am thinking about getting into it next year with my shee but all it's going to need is a woods port and suspension since it is pretty much already set up for low end power. Appreciate the help.

some of our riding buddies have this same bike. the ones that know how to ride good can keep up with just about anyone. these hondas are great for trailriding and desert racing. where we go riding is pretty harsh, and rocky. all these bikes need for tight trails and rocky terrain is gearing, good tires, good pipe, cam, good bars that wont break like the stock ones like to. do not big bore these motors. all ive ever seen is happiness for alittle while and then sadness when the freakin thing starts leaking oil everywhere. change out the piston for a better one but do not big bore. i dont know if its the heat over here. we ride in 105 degree weather in the summer and 30 and 40 degree weather in the winter. the motors in stock form internally are pretty much bullet proof. i hope this helps.

almost all the guys I know around here who race XC all run lowering kits in the rear with aftermarket shocks. I think everybody runs the GT Thunder rear linkage that is well worth the money from what ive heard. it lowers the ride height and lets the rear end squat under acceleration and puts alot of sag in the suspension. this lets the rear end drop down into the ruts and braking bumps and holes and always keeps the tires on the ground digging. makes for a smooth ride through the real rough stuff.

and for the 400ex motor, all I would do to it is get a bigger aftermarket oil tank, a good slip-on pipe, and a 450r carb. and just as important is good tires and wheels and good skid plates.

almost all the guys I know around here who race XC all run lowering kits in the rear with aftermarket shocks. I think everybody runs the GT Thunder rear linkage that is well worth the money from what ive heard. it lowers the ride height and lets the rear end squat under acceleration and puts alot of sag in the suspension. this lets the rear end drop down into the ruts and braking bumps and holes and always keeps the tires on the ground digging. makes for a smooth ride through the real rough stuff.

and for the 400ex motor, all I would do to it is get a bigger aftermarket oil tank, a good slip-on pipe, and a 450r carb. and just as important is good tires and wheels and good skid plates.

REALLY???? WTF...Guess I just made myself look like a dumbass..Makes sense for the acceleration part but I would think you would all the ground clearence you could get.. :ninja:

REALLY???? WTF...Guess I just made myself look like a dumbass..Makes sense for the acceleration part but I would think you would all the ground clearence you could get.. :ninja:

well you want ground clearance naturally, but lowering the ride height helps the bike handle so much better then it would if it was jacked up high. heres a picture I dug up of one of the guys I ride and race with. this pic was from the loretta lynn's gncc race this year, http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage....0418&po=418

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage....0419&po=419