new to banshees and have some questions

I am looking at buying a 95 banshee. I am new to them but not to 2 strokes. The one I am looking at seems to have very little compression and is hard to start. when you do get it started it only runs on one cylinder and back fires alot. To me that seems like a new topend would probably take care of it. I was just wondering if there are some common problems I should know about before I dive into this head first. I can get this bike pretty cheap, and if it is just a topend I will come out good. Just looking for any advice anyone would be willing to offer.

I am looking at buying a 95 banshee. I am new to them but not to 2 strokes. The one I am looking at seems to have very little compression and is hard to start. when you do get it started it only runs on one cylinder and back fires alot. To me that seems like a new topend would probably take care of it. I was just wondering if there are some common problems I should know about before I dive into this head first. I can get this bike pretty cheap, and if it is just a topend I will come out good. Just looking for any advice anyone would be willing to offer.

If its the cylinder that does not fire that has low compression then prob need a new tip end. My bike was not firing on one cylinder but when i had my buddy switch the throttle cable he had a little mix up with the carb cap with an extra set laying around the shop. The needle was a notch or two higher and was washing out the spark......but yea if you pick it up i would start with the carbs and spark. Its only three key factors with a two stroke.

Do a compression check. If its under 100lbs time for a rebuild. Also look for anything that could have caused the top end to loose compression. like overheating, air leaks or jetted incorrectly. Also look the bike over real good for anything that may need attention and dont offer more than its worth. I have seen some good running, nice looking shee's going for cheap right now.

I offered him 750 and he accepted it. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Just by kicking the bike over I can tell it has low compression. It has pipes on it and the kid doesnt know if it has been jetted for them or not. He also had to replace the slides because the previous owner messed them up. It sounds like its been owned by atleast 2 people that dont know how to tune a 2 stroke. The only thing that makes me nervous is that I cant really ride it to see how it shifts. Are the bottom ends of these known to be pretty reliable. Do they use a counter balancer? The price seems right anyways.

I offered him 750 and he accepted it. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Just by kicking the bike over I can tell it has low compression. It has pipes on it and the kid doesnt know if it has been jetted for them or not. He also had to replace the slides because the previous owner messed them up. It sounds like its been owned by atleast 2 people that dont know how to tune a 2 stroke. The only thing that makes me nervous is that I cant really ride it to see how it shifts. Are the bottom ends of these known to be pretty reliable. Do they use a counter balancer? The price seems right anyways.

I bang the shit out of my tranny....never had a prob yet. I just make sure i change the fluid on a consistent basis. No counter balancer just main shaft and counter shaft.......

I drug it home tonight and started checking some stuff over. I am guessing it has a hole in the right side piston. I am going to stick a bore scope down the plug hole tomorrow at work and see what it looks like. The rest of the bike is in decent shape for 14 years old. I noticed it has a foam air filter of some kind with no oil on it so that may be part of the reason it burned up. What are the adjustment screws on the top of the carbs for? Sorry to be such a newbie but this thing couldnt be more different than my 400 polaris'. It also has fmf fatties and it is only running 260 mains does that sound right for 2000 feet.

Edited by burhead