oregon dunes

Banshee Chad

wheres the dunes everyone is always talkin about? my father in law lives in oregon city, and we are going to be making a trip up this summer and i was thinking of bringing the shee and wifey trailblazer. what city is the closest to the main dunes? and there any weird rules, visitor atv registration? thanks for all info.

Well im from here so id say CoosBay, Windy Bay is just not big enough for me but im just use to CoosBay, i dont know about Florence dunes but iv heard there nice also. But it may be a bit of a drive from Oregon City to CoosBay just to ride, sand lake may be your best bet.

Skip Sand Lake, it's just really not big enough to ride more than about 3 or 4 hours.

Take the extra hour or so like the others have said and hit Florence, Winchester Bay, or Coos Bay.

Oregon honors registrations from other states that recognize Oregon's permits. Worst case, it costs like $10 for 2 years per quad for Oregon atv sticker.

Good luck out here! :beer:

your gonna need to familiarize yourself with the layout. There are a lot of tree islands, trails, and roads at Coos Bay. You could easily get lost out in an area and have a hard time finding your way back. Its not like Utah where you just ride across open sand towards Sand Mountain.

are spark arrestors required? if so do they enforce it?

I dont think they are required. I haven't even been pulled over for a sound test in 14 years. If your ride like an asshole, the rangers will treat you like an asshole.

I dont think they are required. I haven't even been pulled over for a sound test in 14 years. If your ride like an asshole, the rangers will treat you like an asshole.

There not required, if you come on an off weekend you wont be hassled for anything anyways. I live here and the only time I have been stopped for anything in 15 years on the dunes is on the big weekends. Rarely see a cop any other time.