Transmission Problem

My buddy has a 96' and the tranny is making popping noises in 2nd gear under a load. Also when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it will get caught between gears causing it to rev to the moon. All other tranny functions work fine. Tor it apart and nothing noticeably looks bent, worn, etc.

Anyone ever had similar issues? Please advise.

Yes took one apart this weekend and the only thing we could find was the idler gear that engages the kick start had came loose the spring clip and washer that hold it on were in the bottom of the clutch case.

I went ahead and slpit the cases but could not find anything else wrong. No broken gears or bad bearings. It only made noise in second gear every other gear ran fine. So I do not know if the idler came loose becuase of the something else or it was making the noise? They are on the same shaft just oppsite ends.

My buddy has a 96' and the tranny is making popping noises in 2nd gear under a load. Also when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it will get caught between gears causing it to rev to the moon. All other tranny functions work fine. Tor it apart and nothing noticeably looks bent, worn, etc.

Anyone ever had similar issues? Please advise.

I had the same problem, turned out to be the shift shaft. The rivot on the end got wore, causing it to not go into 3 gear all the way. Long story short. Changed the shaft and problem went away.