Going to check out a banshee have questions

Ok I found a banshee not to far away that I am going to go take a look at on tuesday. Its an 01 that is all stock other than Trinity Racing pipes and silencers. The pics of it make it look really nice and he says its 100% ready to ride and needs nothing. Newer top end which was done 3 yrs ago, but only had it out a couple times do to lack of time, same reason for selling it.

What should I look out for and beware of:

Compression? What should it be cold or hot?

Common weak spots?

Common issues?

This isn't my first quad nor my first banshee but buying this for my girlfriend to ride when we go out, I do not want a basket case, as I will never hear the end of it.

Do you think he'll let you check the compression, I usually don't ask when buying a bike.

As long as it kicks over on the first or second kick, thats usally a good indication that the bike is jetted properly, and has good compression.

I also try to look at and inspect most of the visible gaskets make sure it doesnt look like thyre leaking, same thing on the crank case, make sure there arent any oil leaks. And no leaks again on the coolant system. Also, if you can, wobble the tires, make sure the hub bearings and axle bearings are tight.

If you can take it for a short ride, or ask the owner to, and make sure everything sounds and shifts good.

Do you think he'll let you check the compression, I usually don't ask when buying a bike.

As long as it kicks over on the first or second kick, thats usally a good indication that the bike is jetted properly, and has good compression.

I also try to look at and inspect most of the visible gaskets make sure it doesnt look like thyre leaking, same thing on the crank case, make sure there arent any oil leaks. And no leaks again on the coolant system. Also, if you can, wobble the tires, make sure the hub bearings and axle bearings are tight.

If you can take it for a short ride, or ask the owner to, and make sure everything sounds and shifts good.

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping he will allow a quick compression test as I will take the wrench and guage. Only takes a few mins to do.

also check for vin number and the gusests near the airbox. and just check around on the frame and make sure theres no cracks and or "fixed"welds. the swing arm bearings check those by picking the ass end up just enough to get the weight off of the back tires and move it left to right make sure theres no wobbel(sp) to it should be nice and tight o and check the chain slack and the apperance of the sprockets. make sure there not worn out that right there will tell you how well its been maintand

Edited by BlasterKX

also check for vin number and the gusests near the airbox. and just check around on the frame and make sure theres no cracks and or "fixed"welds. the swing arm bearings check those by picking the ass end up just enough to get the weight off of the back tires and move it left to right make sure theres no wobbel(sp) to it should be nice and tight o and check the chain slack and the apperance of the sprockets. make sure there not worn out that right there will tell you how well its been maintand

or you can do what i do, say who gives a shit and try to get it as cheap as possible and then go through the entire bike yourself... I would recommend that anyways. especially if your Gf is going to be on it thats the last thing you want is to see her get hurt because you did not go through the bike..

or you can do what i do, say who gives a shit and try to get it as cheap as possible and then go through the entire bike yourself... I would recommend that anyways. especially if your Gf is going to be on it thats the last thing you want is to see her get hurt because you did not go through the bike..

That's true, it's alwyas good to give it a once over. But there are some Banshees that are barely worth even parting out, so you still want a good base to start from. I would never take a shitty banshee to ride, even at a cheap price. More of a headache then it's worth.

I completely agree, its always best to get things as cheap as possible. But I don't want something catostrophic to be wrong with it that I could have spotted. I will check it over fully when I get home, check the brakes, bearings and bushings. Along with doing the proper maintaince no matter of when they tell me it was done last. I am just glad banshees have been around forever and parts are relatively cheaper and easily attainable.