jetting my 421

bry

have a 421 with 34pjs 52 pilots 155 mains cel needle in the middle clip k&n pods vf3s 15 tooth front gear and 40 rear and it bogs bad off the line is it the carbs or just a POS>?? acts like it doesnt have the power to get out of its own way!! need help i have tried from 45-55 pilots and the same reaction.

sounds like its a pos man lol j/K ! well what type of surface are u racing on how much do you wieght are you starting in 1st or 2nd ? really unless u way 120lbs imo you are way over geared all your jetting sounds real close , I would drop 1 in the front or slap a 43 rear sprocket on there and see what happens!

Edited by Paul M

sounds like its a pos man lol j/K ! well what type of surface are u racing on how much do you wieght are you starting in 1st or 2nd ? really unless u way 120lbs imo you are way over geared all your jetting sounds real close , I would slap a 23 rear sprocket on there and see what happens!

i run on a med-hard dirt i am 135lbs in second gear first is just to low..not good launching in first. also running a 20 inch kenda tire.

How does the machine pull after that?

Has it been leak down tested?

All the ignition components checked out?

A properly setup 4 mil cub should pull that gear with a 135 lb rider...go to a 42 tooth rear.

If that doesn't fix it...you need to look elsewhere.

I don't know if CEL are a good needle for PJs, I did use them in my 421 and it ran great with 35PWKs.

IMO it's gearing mostly but I think a 155 might be slightly rich just look at your plugs. I think a 15/40 is too high a gear for a 421 on gas unless you are running a bunch of timing or racing 500 feet.

You dont need to be geared to run 100mph

I'd bet if you had 15/44 and start in 1st it'd be a lot better or about a 14/43 to launch in 2nd. My 421 on gas needed about a 14/43 to pull hard off the line in 2nd but would launch in 1st with a 15/43 15/44. A gas cub doesnt have as much tq off the line with 4 or 5 degrees of timing as we would like sometimes. I dont think you have a pos just a little tuning and it'll be fine.

talked to him today he put a 58 pilot in and it seemed to help the motor run better and is goign to gear it down.

didnt ever think a cub would like a pilot that big but it does. put a 52 in and could only open the air screws 1/2 turn it liked them to be closed.

bigger pilot seems to be helping with throttle response.

each bike is different but it like it so i think he is happy.

its a cel needle and lot of people run that so again.

yeah a 58 pilot is what i needed now i have snappy throttle and it revs super high changing gears but had tornadoes today so no luck getting to run it. going to put a 42 rear and try it.. Thanks WES for the input you rock!! :beer: