head domes machining

spike

hey I need to get my bike back running on 91 pump gas. right now i have 21cc stroker cutted domes and it cranks 170psi compression. I would like to get back to around 150-155. so i guess a 22 cc should do it. how much do i have to shave from the dome chamber to get em to 22cc? following the same curve? or it the shape will be slightly different in order to keep the squish band width?

hey I need to get my bike back running on 91 pump gas. right now i have 21cc stroker cutted domes and it cranks 170psi compression. I would like to get back to around 150-155. so i guess a 22 cc should do it. how much do i have to shave from the dome chamber to get em to 22cc? following the same curve? or it the shape will be slightly different in order to keep the squish band width?

Well, if you just cut the band width, who knows what you'll end up with for volume. Not to mention you've changed the length of the band width as well as the squish clearance. There is a lot of power in the squish clearance. So, with everything looked at, the money put into these engines, do you really want to sacrifice HP and TQ numbers over the cost of an $80 set of domes?

SP

i guess my question would be how much cash are you going to spend just to make your bike perform less?

i'd guess that you could buy enough race gas to run your bike for a while for what you'll end up paying for custom cut domes and an o-ring kit to make it run on pump gas.

now if your converting back due to availibility of race fuel then i guess i can see why you would want to do it but i personaly would just run the 50/50 and leave it as is....

Well, if you just cut the band width, who knows what you'll end up with for volume. Not to mention you've changed the length of the band width as well as the squish clearance. There is a lot of power in the squish clearance. So, with everything looked at, the money put into these engines, do you really want to sacrifice HP and TQ numbers over the cost of an $80 set of domes?

SP

I talking about cutting the combustion chamber not the squish band. part off my question was if i should keep the same overall shape or i go deeper with the same width so i keep the squish intact. its not just 80, cut domes are 100$ + about 20$ shipping and that adds up to about 150$ CAN 2 weeks delievery time...

i guess my question would be how much cash are you going to spend just to make your bike perform less?

i'd guess that you could buy enough race gas to run your bike for a while for what you'll end up paying for custom cut domes and an o-ring kit to make it run on pump gas.

now if your converting back due to availibility of race fuel then i guess i can see why you would want to do it but i personaly would just run the 50/50 and leave it as is....

I`m getting rid off it and its a turn off for buyer around here if a bike can`t run on pump gas.

Talk to Dave Noss, or dlnoss on the board here. He can answer questions like that for you, and cut domes if need be.

Yeah I was thinking that too, just wanted to know if anybody had a quick answer last night, I`ll give him a call. Oh and thanks for giving an answer instead of an opinion... I dont really care what poeple think i just need to cut a set of domes.

if you make the chamber deeper, than the end of the plug will stick into the chamber, which is something you don't want. you could stack up another spark plug washer or something, to fix that problem. if you have access to solidworks or some other 3-d designing/engineering software, you can draw up the current dome geometry and they change it and the software can tell you the cc volume and then from there you can see how much to shave off where to get down to 22cc volume from 21cc volume. i use solidworks for stuff like this, cause i have access to it thru work.