Reading Anthracite Notice

Meat

Found this in the Shamokin News Item news paper today, May 25th and thought I'd give everyone who rides here a "heads up" on the current situation.

"READING ANTHRACITE NOTICE

No Trespassing Notice signs have been posted on all Reading Anthracite Properties.

State Police and Local Police were contracted and they will arrest all violators.

Anyone observed removing sins will also be charged with Criminal Mischief. Reading Anthracite Security Patrols and the police will concentrate their efforts at the sites in Trevorton/Zerbe Twp., Coal Twp., West Cameron Twp. & Mt. Carmel Twp. were violators have been observed."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this in the Shamokin News Item news paper today, May 25th and thought I'd give everyone who rides here a "heads up" on the current situation.

"READING ANTHRACITE NOTICE

No Trespassing Notice signs have been posted on all Reading Anthracite Properties.

State Police and Local Police were contracted and they will arrest all violators.

Anyone observed removing sins will also be charged with Criminal Mischief. Reading Anthracite Security Patrols and the police will concentrate their efforts at the sites in Trevorton/Zerbe Twp., Coal Twp., West Cameron Twp. & Mt. Carmel Twp. were violators have been observed."

Does this include if you have a pass?

If you have a pass\permit, your fine. They're after the trespassers. When you buy a permit, you get a paper that needs to be displayed in your truck's window and you have to wear or carry the actual permit with you. So if you don't have that permit paper in the windshield of your vehicle, you could be arrested for trespassing. If you get stopped while on the quad and you don't have the permit with you, you could be arrested for trespassing. This is what the lady told me when I bought my permit.

Iv rode this piece of Reading property for 25+ years without a pass. But I bought one this year. The place I ride at got SO popular in the past 4 years its crazy. I used to ride from my house to the Reading property, but they have put a shitload of hours into blocking trails, posting trails and patrolling that I decided to buy a pass this year, because I can't afford a trespassing fine. I was permit number 680ish, and I bought my permit nearly 2 months ago.

I know the Trevorton cops have an SUV now. I seen a Statie in his unmarked Crown Vic all the way out at the "canyon". I wonder how much a trespassing fine costs ? The permit cost me $100 bucks and its good for one year. I'm also riding around in my jeep on their land, I figured sooner or later i'm going to get caught, so I bot my pass.

welcome to the forum shamokinbanshee, im from shamokin too. The only time Iv ever seen the staties at the canyon was around 5 years ago when they were investigating that murder case where the cops thought the murderer dumped the body in the canyon lake. The cops had divers up there looking for the body. I guess they didn't find her, but they found a bunch of junk cars underwater and made some arrests from VIN numbers :biggrin: .

Who own's the land by the Canyon ? I'd love to have camping permission there :smile: . I can remember when the canyons waters where blue and crystal clear, I can remember ice skating on the lake around age 7. Its one of the nicest places in the whole riding area IMO. I take my jeep there a lot too.

I dunno Sanzi. Its a hard call. If its a gaurentee that you will never come back to the area, then I wouldn't get the permit and take my chances. But if there's any chance at all that you might return to the area, then maybe get one. I'll bet ya like the place and will want to come back. Its a tough call. Also, like I asked earlier, I wonder how much the fine would cost. Iv heard a lot guys just get kicked off the land and never get fined\arrested. I'v been out a good six times this year and haven't seen any cops or Reading guys yet, no one has checked my permit yet. I dunno what to tell ya. Perhaps if you camping on the land, then maybe the permit is a good idea. According to my permit, it say "no camping, and everyone off the land at nightfall". $100 bucks for a pass. You have to get em at their Pottsville office.

I dunno Sanzi. Its a hard call. If its a gaurentee that you will never come back to the area, then I wouldn't get the permit and take my chances. But if there's any chance at all that you might return to the area, then maybe get one. I'll bet ya like the place and will want to come back. Its a tough call. Also, like I asked earlier, I wonder how much the fine would cost. Iv heard a lot guys just get kicked off the land and never get fined\arrested. I'v been out a good six times this year and haven't seen any cops or Reading guys yet, no one has checked my permit yet. I dunno what to tell ya. Perhaps if you camping on the land, then maybe the permit is a good idea. According to my permit, it say "no camping, and everyone off the land at nightfall". $100 bucks for a pass. You have to get em at their Pottsville office.

Thanks Meat. We all talked today and all agreed we will come down anyway w/o permits. Taking our chances. I've been there before, and we are going to park the trucks at the bottom of coal hill where that little pond is.

Thanks Meat. We all talked today and all agreed we will come down anyway w/o permits. Taking our chances. I've been there before, and we are going to park the trucks at the bottom of coal hill where that little pond is.

Thats a pretty popular place to park now. Guys are parkin all around that abandoned building right at the entrance of coal-hill. Iv seen 50 + vehicles parked there all ready. Only bitch about that parking area or anywhere close to coal-hill, is that its easily accessible to cops. The black coal road that starts at RT255 and winds up and around the south side of coal-hill is actually a street and its completely legal to drive on it. The dirtroad\street is aptly named "coal street".

Me and a buddy were riding today and I had a cop follow me from the start of RT225 in Shamokin all the way through Trevorton. It couldn't' have been a Shamokin cop because he drove right into Trevorton with me, it had to be a state cop. I was towing my 250r on a trailer. He followed me through Trevorton and then I made a left turn onto RT2044 to go to "the flats". The cop stayed straight on RT225 towards coal-hill. We parked at 'the flats' like we usually do and were parked there for about 5 hours and we didn't see a cop or a Reading patrol guy all day. But... its Thursday too.

Any of you guys spot an all red 250r usually riding with a blue yfz, wave me down and say hello. I usually ride during the week, but im out on the weekends sometimes too.

What are the penalties/fines if you guys get caught without a permit?

I dunno, I asked that same question a few times, no one seems to know what a trespassing fine costs. My guestimate is prolly around $300 bucks, but I really dunno, it could be as high as a grand.