shifter problem help!

im putting what i hope are the finishing touches on my 98 today i installed a billet shifter lever and noticed that it only shifts if i pull the shifter/shaft outwards and if i push it in it just goes up and down without shifting. my new shifter is narrower at the clamp than the stocker do i need to put a spacer between the clamp and the stator cover to hold it out? please tell me that this is not the begginings of another big repair! i just put the motor back in !!!!! thanks again guys for any help-qd

the shift shaft bottoms out against the clutch cover, the type of shift lever has nothing to do with the ability to shift the bike.

if your having to put tension on the lever to hold it out in order to get the bike to shift then i think your in need of removing the clutch cover and inspecting the spot that the shift shaft rides against and the nub on the end of the shift shaft.

thers a "shifting mechanism adjust bolt" in ther that has a locknut and lockwasher, that might need adjust. Right behind the oil seal thers a return spring then a spacer. Hopefully that spacers in ther. I got a clymer banshee reapir/service manual m486-6 i dont know if you got one or not but pg 170.