newb saying hello with a few ?s

Hey guys NEWB here, name is Joey i just recently picked up a friend of mines non running 96 banshee, after a couple hours of trouble shooting i have it running again, he had thought it was the stator so he installed a brand new one, then after i bought it he said he was told it needed a coil so i ordered that to find it still didnt run, at which point my DMM was a life saver as we tested everything and found the switch in the throttle to be bad causing it to not run and voila it lives again.

I have a couple questions for you guys as i come from 4 stroke world (i must say im addicted to the 2 stroke BOOST like feeling of the powerband)

First this bike has some mods done to it and im not sure what kind of gains are had from them etc, the bike has Toomey T-5 pipes, Pro peformance Cool head, and i was told some aftermarket carbs (the one says suoco racing on it) with direct mount k and ns with pre filters also the engine has some type of engraving and im not sure what exactly is done to it the engraving says WMR on one side and willy mac racing on the other side, id imagine there isnt a ton done to it internally as he said hes just running 91 mixed, what can you guys tell me about this bike? good setup? estimated power? things like that

second it only has foot pegs and i think id like to add some nerf/healguard/footpegs which would you guys reccomend?

You have a good little set up already. For bolt on mods I would go with an ajustable timing plate set at +4. Get a pair of 28-30mm Keihin or OKO carbs. Both of those mods will increase your power. You did not say what cc domes were on your head.

As far as the pegs go. I just sold a set of AC Pronerfs. I bought two more sets of pegs and bolted them onto the stationary set. Looks good and wont hang up on anything.

the scribe marks on the side prob represent port work. the carbs are sudco, I think a division of mikuni. You can measure the inside (side facing motor) convert to mm and find out what size they are. the head you have has domes you can change out to different sized to adjust compression. when you pul the carbs to measure see if the intake ports are worked, maybe take pics and someone on here with this info maybe able to give you a ball park. Get the psi with a compression tester as well.

Hey thanks for the replies, i think i do have an adjustable timing plate already ill have to look and see what its set at, is there anyway to tell what domes i have without pulling the head? also if i do remove the cool head will i need a new gasket? ill measure the carbs, is i a good chance they are stock? also i will measure compression if it will help, thanks again, id just like to know what i have so i know where i can/want to go and also if i ever have issues i know what to get

i currently have a slightly modded ds650 and i thought it was buy holy crap im in love with the banshee

Edited by UTYFZ350

is there anyway to tell what domes i have without pulling the head? also if i do remove the cool head will i need a new gasket? ill measure the carbs, is i a good chance they are stock?

You will have to pull the head to see what size domes your running, the domes will have a marking to tell what size they are.

Most coolheads use o-rings, not gaskets.

If its not a mikuni carb they're not stock, they could however be the same size carb. Like said above micro the inside diameter on the intake side of the carb. Stock is 26mm

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to testing compression, its reading 135-140psi, what does this mean dome wise, also im getting different opinions on which side of the carb to measuer the engine side or air filter side, thanks for the help guys just wanna know whats done to this beast, also am interested in a +2 swingarm, whats all involved with this swap

finally got around to testing compression, its reading 135-140psi, what does this mean dome wise, also im getting different opinions on which side of the carb to measuer the engine side or air filter side, thanks for the help guys just wanna know whats done to this beast, also am interested in a +2 swingarm, whats all involved with this swap

THe psi reading doesn't really tell you the dome size because theres alot more factors, if the motor has no problems it could mean you have like 22 or 21 cc domes depending on temperature and elavation of where you are, or if your o-rings on your head are leaking then your could have 20 or 19cc domes so its hard to tell, your going to have to pull the head. measure the motor side of the carbs because thats where the manufacturers measure. As far as the swingarm... is there any particualr reason? a longer swing arm is used to keep the front end down when you build more power with your motor, what type of riding do you do? if you do alot of trail riding a stock swinger is better and your wasting your money unless you need it, however all you need to do is get the longer swinger and a longer chain, and it helps to get a shock made for the longer swinger but you dont have to

thanks for the welcome, ill have to measure the carbs tonight, ill also have to order up an oring just in case when i pull the head it needs new rings, also the reason for wanting the longer swinger is to keep it down when racing, i think this is going to be my hillshooter/occassional duner