Shift SHAFT mod ...

So I'm in the middle of putting the Banshee back together, and I have the CASCADE modified shift star ...

But I found this modification in another thread and I'm wondering if I should do it ...

Looks like it allows farther movement during up shift ???

ShiftShaftMod.jpg

Any info ???

Thanks ! ~DaVe

DAMMIT that's my pic of my shaft i modded. All the girls like my big shaft. :laugh:

yup that's exactly what it does.

I would also be interested in finding out how to do this mod and what does allowing that more space help? not to hi jack your thread bro

Ok so it allows more movement of the shift SHAFT during upshifs, which causes the transmission too ... ???

I think we are after the same info 278 !!!

~DaVe

Not too sure but if the eccentric screw is adjusted correctly and shift forks arent worn, the bike does not need that mod. It should shift into gear before the shifter is all the way up. I guess if the spring is worn or not adjust perfectly it allows more travel so it gives the shift star more force to turn. But im not sure on that. I've got and override so i no longer worry about that ;)

As for not rounding off the shift star, how come when you buy aftermarket ones, they are all rounded?

Edited by RagunCajun

Not too sure but if the eccentric screw is adjusted correctly and shift forks arent worn, the bike does not need that mod. It should shift into gear before the shifter is all the way up. I guess if the spring is worn or not adjust perfectly it allows more travel so it gives the shift star more force to turn. But im not sure on that. I've got and override so i no longer worry about that ;)

As for not rounding off the shift star, how come when you buy aftermarket ones, they are all rounded?

THANKS YOU !

I have a new SHIFT SHAFT HEADLESS SCREW, NUT and Lock plate on the way ....

So with proper adjustment I think I'll leave the shaft alone ;)

~DaVe

You're welcome. Your spring on the shift shaft might also be loose/old. That could cause issues as well. Also maybe worn forks. I dont know the symptoms of worn or bad shift forks so i cant help there. Perhaps someone else can chime in or a search could answer that. When i put my override in, i put all new forks to be on the safe side.

But set that eccentric screw properly and see if she shifts ok. You also need to make sure your clutch is set right too. The clutch not fully releasing can cause the bike not wanting to shift well.

While you are in there put a pancake bearing if you dont have one.

You're welcome. Your spring on the shift shaft might also be loose/old. That could cause issues as well. Also maybe worn forks. I dont know the symptoms of worn or bad shift forks so i cant help there. Perhaps someone else can chime in or a search could answer that. When i put my override in, i put all new forks to be on the safe side.

But set that eccentric screw properly and see if she shifts ok. You also need to make sure your clutch is set right too. The clutch not fully releasing can cause the bike not wanting to shift well.

While you are in there put a pancake bearing if you dont have one.

It has always shifted OK for me, BUT since the cases are split I am always looking for the "must do" upgrades ...

I already have the CASCADE pancake bearing and shift star, and I'm going to run 6 "light" springs from Jeff at F.A.S.T.

THANKS again !

~DaVe

Im awaiting my cascade bearing as well. I welded my damn crap together and had to split the cases to get them out.

See how those light springs work for you. If it's not enough go with 3hd and 3 light, then if that slips go with 6HD. If the clutch lever is too hard to pull you can always go with a under stock cover slingshot lockup and 3HD/3 regular springs. That's what i have and it's very easy on the clutch hand. No hand pump at all. But im not sure how well it will shift for you w/o an override so a lockup might not be a good idea. To be honest, i only have a lockup because i need one.

Since the cases are split, inspect all bearing, all 3 shift forks. Go ahead and change the seals as well unless you recently did that. Cheap insurance. That way when you seal those cases up, you know everything will be fresh and ready to go.

Edited by RagunCajun

this shift shaft mod makes shifting a bit smoother, like the star mod.

i have had both but, not together in the same bike. i liked the way the

modded shift shaft shifted (lol) over just the modded shift star.

these mods are to help make smoother shifts.