Carb Slides are rough?

305Shee

Well i took my carbs apart the other day to clean them and install the TOR removal kit and now the slides dont go up and down smoothly i turn on the bike and when i give it gas and let go it takes a while for the slides to close completely...do i need to lubricate the slides some or did i mess something up when i cleaned them.

You can hear them that they sound rough when you hit the throttle...(the bike off)

Well i took my carbs apart the other day to clean them and install the TOR removal kit and now the slides dont go up and down smoothly i turn on the bike and when i give it gas and let go it takes a while for the slides to close completely...do i need to lubricate the slides some or did i mess something up when i cleaned them.

You can hear them that they sound rough when you hit the throttle...(the bike off)

Sounds to me that is is VERY likely, you just didn't get every last spec of metal out of it when you were doing your TORS elim kit. That would be my absolute #1, bet the farm speculation. I would pull those carbs immediately and clean them again, way thoroughly!

I blew compressed air (40psi) into them and washed them out pretty dam good...what i did notice is that the slides is missing black paint on some spots, does the black paint help it move up and down smoothly?

The missing anodizing shouldn't make anything like what you are describing. Mine have been used to the point that you are describing with no side effects.

Based on the mods you just completed and what you are describing, I still think you are dealing with a dirty set of carbs. If you can actually here the noise coming from the slides this makes me believe it even more. The slides still move correct, just slower? How dramatically slower?

When I did mine, I completely stripped my carbs and cleaned everything with B-12 Chemtool. You woulld be amazed how little grit can make a difference and where that grit can get to. I pulled all the jets on mine, and sprayed and blew from every direction imaginable. I'm still sticking with my original diagnosis.

Dammmm i guess let me take them apart again...the drama never ends i hope this helps it out if not 35's here they come.

Thanks for the help

Sorry to disappoint. But, I can tell you that having the carbs on and off is just a fact of life. When I was getting my bike set up the first time, I had the carbs off more times than I could count. Jetting, rejetting, changing needle positions, changing pilots. Then, I got it all dialed in and didn't hardly mess with it. Now, I've just ported my cylinders, so I'm getting ready to start over. I expect to pull the carbs or make adjustments at least a half dozen times. It's all about getting it right and it just takes time.