carb conversion

octane82

I picked up an 01 banshee. it was running alcohale before i tore it down to re do the top end. and i decided to drop it down to 110 for rideability. because i wan to do more than just drag race it. I am not sure on the size at this time but they are keihin carbs, probley a 38mm. i need to know if i can convert them back to gas? or not and how can i tell. i have herd it both ways that they can and can not be reverted. Although i did think about leaving it on alch, just for the power but i know the kind of up keep alch can be. What do you guys think.

Thanks alot.

From what i have read, once the tubes are drilled on the keihns, they are alky for life. I think the mikunis can be removed and replaced and allow you to go back to gas. And the lectrons can go back and forth as well. If they are keign, just sell them and pick up a new set.

I;m going to open the can of worms. Kehins can be made to go between gas and alky. But not many builder can do it right. 99.999% of the time Kehins cannot be converted back to gas once they have been converted to alky. as stated before, Makuni's and lectrons can go between gas and alky with little changes. If you want to go back to gas there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to swap you carbs.

Alky is not hard once you know what you are doing. If you don't know how to tune properly stick to gas IMO. If alky is not tuned properly you will be blowing motors left and right.

The choice between gas and alky mainly depends on what type of riding you do and your experience with tuning and setup. If you want to run alky I suggest ou start reading and asking questions. The is a shit ton of info on here and a few other wecites (atvdragracers.com , "planetshithole.com" , atvdraggers.com). Read everything you can before you jusy dive in.

I;m going to open the can of worms. Kehins can be made to go between gas and alky. But not many builder can do it right. 99.999% of the time Kehins cannot be converted back to gas once they have been converted to alky. as stated before, Makuni's and lectrons can go between gas and alky with little changes. If you want to go back to gas there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to swap you carbs.

Alky is not hard once you know what you are doing. If you don't know how to tune properly stick to gas IMO. If alky is not tuned properly you will be blowing motors left and right.

The choice between gas and alky mainly depends on what type of riding you do and your experience with tuning and setup. If you want to run alky I suggest ou start reading and asking questions. The is a shit ton of info on here and a few other wecites (atvdragracers.com , "planetshithole.com" , atvdraggers.com). Read everything you can before you jusy dive in.

I think tuning alky is easier due to the powerjets, and the fact that it can be ran very rich and still perform. However, definitely research before running it, as mentioned.

I'd like to know how you change them back from alky to gas? The dump tubes are not replaceable in the keihins like the mikuni's. Once you drill them out.. you can't make them smaller again for gas.

I'd guess a custom needle???!!!

One thing i am wondering is what size should the tube be? If not drilled out. Is there a way i can check. I know they are set up with the external quick adjust main jet.

Get some indexed drill bits and see which bit fits the tube. Then mic it with calipers to see what size it is in inches. Generally 0.112'' to 0.124'' on alky.