WTF! cutting out on high rpm

it started out with my ignition KEY switch not working today and then when it got warmed up and i got it into the powerband it cuts out like crazy on high rpms. I tried my cousins switch and his works great on his quad but doesnt work on mine. Any ideas? thanks

Do you have a Ricky Stator by chance?

nope its a stocker

I have good current from the stator. I wiggled the cdi connections and tapped on the cdi box with a screw driver handle and i got spark again, weak spark but some atleast. Im almost certain the cdi is shit

lol, yeah i think i figured that out.

lol.....

I had kinda the same problem.The headlights went on/off while riding and would run like shit here and there.Also would not start at times.A burnt wire on the pipe gave me the problem.It was only a headlight/taillight wire but went back to the stator and caused a arc/flash something like that.

Do you have any wires crimped together in the headlight or kill switch wires.? Maybe a loose connection..Mine did the same thing, found some wires that the previous owner had crimped together half ass finally came loose.

i have some headlight wires crimped together...........that doesnt explain the non spark issue though........i appreciate the input!!

i have some headlight wires crimped together...........that doesnt explain the non spark issue though........i appreciate the input!!

that doesnt explain the non spark issue though.....I checked for spark when my shee would not start and had no spark.it all came back to the burnt wire....It's like a bad ground on your trailer lights, it does strange stuff!!

yeah somthing is screwed up. The spark will go away then i will go back in the garage a hour later and kick it over and the spark will be back........... :huh:

We worked on mine 4 hours at camp.Went to the bar came back and my buddy fired it up and ran like a top....I kept drinking...lol

When your wires melted against the pipe how did you fix that did you check that again could be shorting on each other. Also have you checked your ground maybe your ground is loose or not getting a good connection check that. Could be a ton of things get your electrical tester out and go to town but i would check those other things first easy fixes.

Edited by Woolfman

When your wires melted against the pipe how did you fix that did you check that again could be shorting on each other. Also have you checked your ground maybe your ground is loose or not getting a good connection check that. Could be a ton of things get your electrical tester out and go to town but i would check those other things first easy fixes.

I'm thinking the same thing.. You have some wires somewhere making a ground. I would go over your wire harness real carefully and clean up anything that looks bad.