Plugs backing out

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea a leak down was done and it held fine.... so you guys are thinking its a electrical issue then I will change out the cdi with a good one(that I know works). we did not pull the head last night but I see no evidence of a coolant leak. Ill pull the head tonight just to make sure though.

Edited by nitrousbaby

If your pipes are sealed well at the flanges it is hard to see evidence of a coolant leak. All it takes is a minor seeping of coolant to dilute your fuel mixture and you have deto. One other indicator of a head leak, but usually a bad one, is you may sometimes get a kickback when trying to kick it over.

Another update.

This afternoon first thing we swapped out the cdi with one from another bike and then we fired it up with the 170's still in it and the needle still set all the way rich. It sounded completely different and barely ran. Then we set the needle back to the center notch where it was originally and tried it with the 170's still. It was better but still boggy up top so I stepped all the way back down to 160's and then ran it and it seemed much improved. Now we've reset the timing to +4 and everything seems to be good.

It's supposed to be nice out and warm tomorrow so I'm gonna run it for a while and see how it acts. Hopefully we've solved the issue.

Thanks for everyone who's helped, and especially to Kevin who's spent a ton of time on the phone with me since building this motor.

Another update.

This afternoon first thing we swapped out the cdi with one from another bike and then we fired it up with the 170's still in it and the needle still set all the way rich. It sounded completely different and barely ran. Then we set the needle back to the center notch where it was originally and tried it with the 170's still. It was better but still boggy up top so I stepped all the way back down to 160's and then ran it and it seemed much improved. Now we've reset the timing to +4 and everything seems to be good.

It's supposed to be nice out and warm tomorrow so I'm gonna run it for a while and see how it acts. Hopefully we've solved the issue.

Thanks for everyone who's helped, and especially to Kevin who's spent a ton of time on the phone with me since building this motor.

Nice, keep us updated!

Well we took it out and it seems to run like a raped ape! :evil: ... Kevin, I never did speak to you personally but I just want everyone here to know that you have my reference ANYTIME! Ive delt with alot of builders that if there is a problem they let you sink or swim once they got your money... But you stuck with walker the whole way till it was solved and I know it had to get anoying a bit being on the phone that much. Just want everyone here to know that I have never seen customer service like Herr Racing gives.

oh yea and the most important part the motor hauls A$$! :biggrin: