Two repair issues from Sat ride

Had a great ride Sat and she is running really well but now I am fighting some wear issues from a 10 year old quad. I had two things creep up on this ride.

1st - It developed a popping-clicking sound coming from the rear end. I thought maybe it was the chain slipping at first, just had that sound and only did it when going low speed under a heavy throttle load up hill climbs and then while doing donuts or very sharp heavy throttle turns.

Thing is I have brand new, high quality chain and sprockets, no busted teeth, was a touch more slack than ideal but not too bad and it made the noise even after adjusting the chain.

I think it may be coming from the axle/carrier. I noticed that the axle nuts had loosened a bit and I didn't have any thing but channel locks to tighten them down again which seemed to help a bit. The carrier has new bearings in it but my nephew who i got her from said they have always had problems with it keeping the axle aligned, it tends to creep forward a bit over time on the drive chain side which loosens the chain and puts a touch of bind in it. He thought the bearings would take care of it but I think maybe the carrier itself is worn out.

What do you all think? Could it just be the axle nuts causing all the problem or will a worn out carrier do that?

2nd - my steering stem seems tweaked. By the end of the day my bars were a good inch off turned to the right and they are new bars and I didn't roll it or hit anything it's not the bars themselves. With a stem being a solid piece like that, I didn't think it could turn and tweak like that. Rained all day yesterday so haven't gotten anything torn down yet to check it out but does that seem odd?

Sidenote.. The more I ride this thing, the more I notice it is the most vibratin sucker I have ever thrown a leg over. Vibrated a spark plug right out of the cool head again after I had tightened it down so much I was almost afraid of snapping it off. BTW - The 'new' 01 Raptor shocks were a definite improvement. Still going to go YFZ front end eventually but well, well worth the time and money The harder I pushed them, the better they worked and havent even really dialed them in yet. Definitely a recommended cheap upgrade.

the axle nut looose will cause the popping and stuff cus everything comes out of alignment .. and you plug coming out you might check your jetting plugs dont back out from vibration..

Good to know about the axle nut, lot cheaper to tighten it down than replace the carrier :)

Plugs looked perfect as far as jetting goes, will pop in a new set and do plug cut this week and make sure tho.

On your steering stem, it is not the actual stem that twist, it is where the tie rods bolt to. It is a weak point for sure. They should have a angle, but you can tell if it is way off. I tweaked mine last year from going around a turn and catching a tree root in the rim. Bent the rod, and stem.

Here are pics of my bent stem.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...pic=104830&