Crank Sprockett

Losing Crank Sprockett While Riding  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a pain in the ass!!!

It happened once before with a friend but we found his nut. So I screwed the nut back on, took one of his bolts from his plastics, Made a washer out of a beer can, and screwed the bolt with the beer washer on into one of the holes on the sprocket so the nut wouldn't back off. Rode the rest of the day like that.

This time it happened to me...

I was flying through Ward pit in Jersey. Bike was flying. The kind of 5/6 gear flying where the front end comes up with every little elevation change and now you're doing 70-80mph wheelies on sand. Feels great don't it? So anyway, I just shifted into sixth and was just about to top it out when it sounded like it went into neutral. I thought I might have bumped the shifter in between gears so I pulled in the clutch and let it out again and nothing.

At first I thought I blew the trans. To make a long story (and the day) short, I grabbed a zip tie and zipped it as tight as i could over the threaded part and it held the sprocket on long enough to get back to the truck

Pic:

riding006.jpg

riding007.jpg

keep an extra one and washer in ur toolbox from now on, thats happened to me before 120 miles form home, fuckin sucked.. they are like $7 for both from yamaha

id also cut that see through section covering the sprocket out, makes it much easier to chnage sprockets or fix that fucked situation quick withou having to remove stator cover

Edited by Michael Jackson

Try losing the front sprocket on an R1 at 120MPH on the highway! I too thought the trans went AWOL but just did not make sense. I am just glad I got the bike shut down before it tried to lock the rear tire.

I now install C clips on most anything. They resist vibration well and come of real easy.

The tab was there. As I can remember, it's been a while since I checked on it as I usually do because I know it's a common problem. One of my friend's lost his runnin from the cops. Even better, the sprocket fell off in the middle of a stream. The cop found him kicking and screaming at his bike in the middle of the stream soaking wet.

Ward pit is out by the 70/72 circle.

Definately ordering 2 pairs of those parts. At least I didn't have to do the strap of shame through the pit in front of all the 450's out there. They don't like me out there cause I keep them in check. LOL. Naa they're cool. Everyone that saw me there asked if everything was cool or if they could help.

Respect to all the riders out there who are down to lend a hand.

And fuck all the pigs out there who use that against us.