to single carb, or not to single carb

Overboost

I am thinking about doing the 2-1 carb setup.

I been using the search and been finding that there are mixed thoughts about them (it)

I would like to get some input on this so I can decide within the next couple of days to purchase a 2-1 setup or stick with the stock dual carbs.

what is everyone's experience with this and is it worth it. form what I read in the past posts, stick with duals.

but I will list below what I am doing with the bike....

90% trails

dual pod filters (or single carb with one pod)

FMF golds

stock outside of that (87 year)

1200' elevation 95% of the time, other times around 800' (one side of the state to the other)

I am not sure of the front gear, I think it was a 14T

if the duals are fine for my needs, I will just stick with them. I am not into drags, dunes much or racing (outside of passing my friends DS650 which I have not done yet)

thanx in advance for any input/advice/constructive criticism.

I been using the search and been finding that there are mixed thoughts about them (it)

I would like to get some input on this so I can decide within the next couple of days to purchase a 2-1 setup or stick with the stock dual carbs.

what is everyone's experience with this and is it worth it. form what I read in the past posts, stick with duals.

90% trails

FMF golds

1200' elevation 95% of the time, other times around 800' (one side of the state to the other)

if the duals are fine for my needs, I will just stick with them. I am not into drags, dunes much or racing (outside of passing my friends DS650 which I have not done yet)

Care to provide more info on the pipes? FMF Makes 4 or 5 Gold series pipes.

If you used the search, your going to get the same answers from just about everyone in this post, that they left in the other posts.

I kind of figured I would get the same reply, but it never hurts to ask for a fresh response, even if it is the same reply...

as for the pipes, I am not sure, I am buying them from another forum member who is selling them.

dont have them in my possession yet. he is selling the pipes and 2-1 carb setup, if that helps.

this is the pipe here. hope it helps.

P1000211.jpg

Edited by Overboost

Those are older FMFs

but are a good older type? would they be good for my stock bike? I know just about anything is better than the stock pipes but I dont want to put 3 different sets of pipes on before I find some I like.

I cant afford new, I have to go with someone selling a reasonably priced used set with silencers.

and would these be good with the stock carbs, or the 2-1

all input is welcome.

but are a good older type? would they be good for my stock bike? I know just about anything is better than the stock pipes but I dont want to put 3 different sets of pipes on before I find some I like.

I cant afford new, I have to go with someone selling a reasonably priced used set with silencers.

and would these be good with the stock carbs, or the 2-1

all input is welcome.

I really don't think they can answer that question without knowing which pipe that is. If its a top end pipe the answer would be no. If its a low end pipe the answer would be yes. You could run the single set up on anything but to properly match the setup you need to know what all the components are.

But, buying stuff based on price is going to put you in a position to mismatch stuff anyway. I know that comment sucks, but its true. If you must buy based on price and are loo9king at buying used, your best bet is to ask LOTS of questions. You can find good deals here and usually very reputable sellers who would be glad to help you out.

SP

90% trails

FMF golds

I have been happy with my 2 into 1 from they day i installed it. much easier to work with, better low end, less jetting issues, looks cleaner.

But, buying stuff based on price is going to put you in a position to mismatch stuff anyway. I know that comment sucks, but its true.

SP

no, the comment dont suck, but it is true. the carb and pipes are from same bike, hopefully, they would have been matched to begin with. but I cannot say for sure, neither can he, he was not the builder.

if I did pipes alone, I should not mismatch anything, being that would be the only mod there is, pipes and pod filters on stock carbs.

once I start swapping carbs and doing funky things, then I will get into trouble if things are not done right.

again, not going all out, just pipes and pods.....or pipes and 2-1 with pod. thats it.

I need to race me a bike with pipes and pods with mine to see if I am keeping up as it is. I can hang right with the DS 650 but he gets me out of the hole by about 1 1/2 length. after that, I hang, cant pull one way or the other....

outside of dink'n round on the trails, thats all the racing I do

ok, 1 more input for the single carb setup.

I am not into top end....just in the occasional spat with the DS.

so it is sounding like I should hit the single carb and FMF pipe setup.

anyone with any input before I go to the "dark side"?

Those are the original gold series pipes that started it all. They are a mid to somewhat top end pipe. Peak rpm is around 9,500-10,000 range. Not really a trail pipe, but better than fatty's or T5's.about the 2 into 1 setup. Just that, those pipes are not a really great match, but they are ok.

so it sounds like I should go with a single carb and find some different pipes for lower RPM...

kind of the opposite direction I was taking with this but at least it solves this dilemma.

Those are the original gold series pipes that started it all. They are a mid to somewhat top end pipe. Peak rpm is around 9,500-10,000 range. Not really a trail pipe, but better than fatty's or T5's.about the 2 into 1 setup. Just that, those pipes are not a really great match, but they are ok.