oh man......

pinkshee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my compression is fine about 150 each. i still think that is part of the busted piston. i am going to check it out this weekend and i will let you guys know. i think i might go ahead and reset my pickup gap also. i know that it is supposed to be betwenn .16 and .20 mine starts better (or at least it did) at .24. right now my primary concern is getting whatever is in there out. thanks guys

Ok gents here's the latest. I went home, pulled the plugs (they were a little black, no biggie right now just needs re-jetted) shifted the tranny through all six gears. i visually watched the kicker gear engage the other gear everything looked good in that aspect. while it was in gear i rocked the tires back and forth, after a few minutes of that whatever it was broke free. i kicked it over without the plugs and the top end is not seized. put the plugs in tried to start it.....nothing....of course. while i was kicking it over, it locked up again. come to think of it i never found the piece of the skirt that broke off. i am going to open the clutch cover and see what i can see and hopefully find the problem. if not, on to splitting the case. i think (hope) i avoided catastrophic damage. Anyone?

Dude you broke the skirt off the old piston please tell me during the rebuild you split the cases to check around the crank for peaces! If you didn't I would almost promise you that is your problem. When my engine went out last time my banshee came to a skiding stop like it had seized. Come find out my skirt had broken off my piston and the pieces were getting wedged around my crank hense the skiding to a stop. So if you didn't check around your crank I would quit jacking with it split the cases and check for pieces around the crank before you jack up the case. Oh and just for heads up you will probably need a new crank if there is pieces down there I had to replace mine.

I had a similar problem like this once in a blaster... The return spring on the kick start had worn and it kept binding up in the engagement gear. I would check that out... the nylon bushing in there may also need to be replaced if that is the problem.

The way you described it sounded exactly like my blaster problem... Just a thought, good luck

that is a good question..... well when i pulled it apart i looked and didn't see any way for a piece the size that was missing to get into the case. i did look though, probably just a little to quick. when i didn't see the piece i figured the chucklehead that had it before me busted the skirt, fished it out and put the damn broke piston back in. there were a couple of shady things on this bike that made me think that was a possibility. anyways i got lucky that the busted skirt didn't screw my cylinder up, just a little honing and it was good.

that is a good question..... well when i pulled it apart i looked and didn't see any way for a piece the size that was missing to get into the case. i did look though, probably just a little to quick. when i didn't see the piece i figured the chucklehead that had it before me busted the skirt, fished it out and put the damn broke piston back in. there were a couple of shady things on this bike that made me think that was a possibility. anyways i got lucky that the busted skirt didn't screw my cylinder up, just a little honing and it was good.

Did you split the case pull the crank and look if not I would strongly suggest that you do. When the skirt breaks that is where the pieces fall. I had a few tiny little pieces fall down there and they jacked up my crank luckly not the case.

i will be opening up the bottom end tonight and tomorrow like i said i am starting with the clutch cover because when i heard the noise i stopped immediately. hopefully nothing got all jacked up. btw what oil should i put back in the tranny? like what weight and stuff like that. if it matters i do alot of trail riding.

i will be opening up the bottom end tonight and tomorrow like i said i am starting with the clutch cover because when i heard the noise i stopped immediately. hopefully nothing got all jacked up. btw what oil should i put back in the tranny? like what weight and stuff like that. if it matters i do alot of trail riding.

I like klotz gear oil

not oh man but oh fck! the left piston is smoked (as in done for) as is the head and the crank. looks like when they shaved the head it was un even and beat the hell out of the piston. as for the crank don't know if it was part of the skirt or time for it to go, but it is done as far as i can tell by pulling the jugs off. might actually be the reason the piston skirt broke originally, that or the un even head. i will try to get some pics up tomorrow. the left side rod bearings are pretty much in pieces. so much for avoiding catastropic damage. i might be able to salvage the one piston if it matches the vito's (window size and such) definitely new rings if so. plus a crank and a head. already working on a few deals for the big parts. what else should i go ahead and check into?

not oh man but oh fck! the left piston is smoked (as in done for) as is the head and the crank. looks like when they shaved the head it was un even and beat the hell out of the piston. as for the crank don't know if it was part of the skirt or time for it to go, but it is done as far as i can tell by pulling the jugs off. might actually be the reason the piston skirt broke originally, that or the un even head. i will try to get some pics up tomorrow. the left side rod bearings are pretty much in pieces. so much for avoiding catastropic damage. i might be able to salvage the one piston if it matches the vito's (window size and such) definitely new rings if so. plus a crank and a head. already working on a few deals for the big parts. what else should i go ahead and check into?

time to shell out some money. might as well go with a 4mill steup now. you already need a crank, pistons and a head. go ahead and get it ported and a noss head with stroker domes also.

well i have a small problem with that. i really don't have all the money in the world. i am looking for the most comepetive pricing possible. i will only need one piston if i cant salvage the one good one that i pulled. as long as the windows are the same size i will be able to get away with re ringing it. i am not ready to go to a stroker setup but would definitely like to have a cool head with like 20cc domes. anyone got one they wanna get rid of?

Your left side main crank bearing locked up.Probably was bad before the rebuild.

The smashed head and debris, is from the crank bearings going up on top the piston,and smashing the head.

Pull the stator cover off.

I bet it is full of rust and dirt and the flywheel moves up and down about a 1/4 inch..

Common with Banshees,that are not maintaned.

Water and dirt gets in the stator cover, ruins the crank seal,then ruins the crank bearing..

i have already had the stator cover off and it is not all rusted. no water no dirt or anything. i am pretty sure the reason the piston was all smashed up is because of the poor job the machine shop did on the head. the left side has more material removed than the right side. so the guy who had it before me probably didn't notice that flaw. the piston with the broke skirt was on that side also. it was also all banged up. i am going to take some pics and post them. still working on getting a crank and a head. if anyone has either plz let me know.