oh man......

pinkshee

ok i just rebuilt the top end on my shee with vito's superstock pistons and put some 2 stage carbon fiber reeds. other mods include the crappy boost bottle pro circuit exhaust +4 timing key and a shaved head. here is what happened, i put everything together and as usual i had to pop start it. no problem. i ran it for about 2 hours to start breaking the rings in. everything was working perfect. the next day i had to pop start it again. this time when it started it sounded like it was trying to foul the plugs. so i proceeded to run it because i forgot to turn the gas off the night before. i was riding it for about 5 minutes or so when i heard so noise coming from the right side of the case, not the cylinders, the case. i immediatley stopped and shut it off. and voila the f@#$ing kickstarter is stuck, as in won't kick over. i haven't investigated yet but i am going to pull the clutch cover off to see if there is anything screwy. what i am looking for is, has anyone ever had this problem? or any ideas what it could be. btw the case was never opened, i didn't even touch the bottom end. any ideas would be great. thanks in advance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i just rebuilt the top end on my shee with vito's superstock pistons and put some 2 stage carbon fiber reeds. other mods include the crappy boost bottle pro circuit exhaust +4 timing key and a shaved head. here is what happened, i put everything together and as usual i had to pop start it. no problem. i ran it for about 2 hours to start breaking the rings in. everything was working perfect. the next day i had to pop start it again. this time when it started it sounded like it was trying to foul the plugs. so i proceeded to run it because i forgot to turn the gas off the night before. i was riding it for about 5 minutes or so when i heard so noise coming from the right side of the case, not the cylinders, the case. i immediatley stopped and shut it off. and voila the f@#$ing kickstarter is stuck, as in won't kick over. i haven't investigated yet but i am going to pull the clutch cover off to see if there is anything screwy. what i am looking for is, has anyone ever had this problem? or any ideas what it could be. btw the case was never opened, i didn't even touch the bottom end. any ideas would be great. thanks in advance.

I think if the problem is coming from under the clutch cover, removing it should make the problem most apparent. There is generally some sort of mess in there to clean up. I am going to guess clutch not tight. :biggrin:

brandon

no the clutch is not tight and i definitely didn't drop anything in the case. i work in aviation and i pay very close attention to things like that. when you say a mess to clean up what do you mean?

I think you better investigate a little further than just the clutch cover because if you rebuilt it and you had to tow satrt it then something is not right. I would guess you have a problem somewere other than in the sidew cover. If it is a new top end then it should start by just kicking it no problem.

Pull the plugs and put it in gear and roll the rear tires slowly. If something is wrong you should be able to hear what area its coming from. Can you shift it through the gears? Does it roll in nuetral? Do you have a rod hanging out of the case? If you want to see the pistons pull the carbs and reeds and look into the intake.

Edited by uwenr

Pull the plugs and put it in gear and roll the rear tires slowly. If something is wrong you should be able to hear what area its coming from. Can you shift it through the gears? Does it roll in nuetral? Do you have a rod hanging out of the case? If you want to see the pistons pull the carbs and reeds and look into the intake.

i can roll it in neutral and definitely shift to 1 and 2. i didn't try to go to any other gears. definitely no rod hanging out of the case. As for the having to pull start, i have had to do it ever since i got it. but only when it is the first start of the day. i have troubleshot that down to maybe my stator starting to go but totally irrelevant right now since the new thing came up. Like i said i haven't pulled anything off yet, i am just fishing for ideas.

this isnt your btke hes talking about lol

Ok gents here's the latest. I went home, pulled the plugs (they were a little black, no biggie right now just needs re-jetted) shifted the tranny through all six gears. i visually watched the kicker gear engage the other gear everything looked good in that aspect. while it was in gear i rocked the tires back and forth, after a few minutes of that whatever it was broke free. i kicked it over without the plugs and the top end is not seized. put the plugs in tried to start it.....nothing....of course. while i was kicking it over, it locked up again. come to think of it i never found the piece of the skirt that broke off. i am going to open the clutch cover and see what i can see and hopefully find the problem. if not, on to splitting the case. i think (hope) i avoided catastrophic damage. Anyone?

Im just going to throw this out there...First engine I ever rebuilt, was a 1977 Yamaha YZ80. I fully rebuilt that thing and was pretty proud of myself. I rode it around for a day or so and then out of nowhere it locks up, good thing I was slowing down in about 2nd gear. I tried the kick starter and it was seized completely. So I took it home and pulled the clutch cover off and come to find out I forgot to tighten down the clutch spring bolts, and each of them had unscrewed themselves and caught on the clutch cover, 'seizing' the engine and putting a crack in the clutch cover that just about split it in half.

-Nick