Newbie needs some new rubber

Hello guys this is one of my first postings on BHQ since I've became a member. Just wanted to say this is a great site and it's very helpful. I bought my 02 Shee back in october for a guy that only ran it in sand up in colorado. It had stock tires/rims all the way around it when I picked it up and they werent too worn down. Since then it seems like i've wore the rear dunlops down pretty good. Down here on the coast of south texas we have all kinds of terrain. We usually run on sandy trails, beach sand, MX tracks, caliche roads and some times a few short blast on pavement. It seems like I can't hook anywhere we run other than on the street. My question to you guys.......what would be the best all-around tire for me to get??? Most likely i'll stick with the same size, probably end up buying a package deal with the rims included. Another question.....should I stay with the stock 9" or change to a 8" or 10"?

Appreciate it :beer:

Hello guys this is one of my first postings on BHQ since I've became a member. Just wanted to say this is a great site and it's very helpful. I bought my 02 Shee back in october for a guy that only ran it in sand up in colorado. It had stock tires/rims all the way around it when I picked it up and they werent too worn down. Since then it seems like i've wore the rear dunlops down pretty good. Down here on the coast of south texas we have all kinds of terrain. We usually run on sandy trails, beach sand, MX tracks, caliche roads and some times a few short blast on pavement. It seems like I can't hook anywhere we run other than on the street. My question to you guys.......what would be the best all-around tire for me to get??? Most likely i'll stick with the same size, probably end up buying a package deal with the rims included. Another question.....should I stay with the stock 9" or change to a 8" or 10"?

Appreciate it :beer:

Oh yeah I forgot to see if any of you guys had experience with this tire http://www.durotire.com/productdetails.php?productid=246

A buddy has a set of 18's on a blaster, it does ok but seems kinda heavy. What do you guys think?

stick with stock size rims. there are far more tires available for those sizes.

i recommend kenda knarlys or stock yfz450 tires for the rear. they are both lightweight, durable and reasonably priced.. they also hook well in a wide variety of terrain..

im actually thinking of giving these tires a try as well..

http://farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=174

How big of an issue is weight with you?

I love my Razr 2s, but they are fatasses....I ride in South Florida, and our terrain is pretty much (sounds like) the same as yours. I would not do to much road riding...I'll admit I think I do to much for them. They dig in sand, but can easily float on top when you get the RPMs up. Dirt...they hook like mofos.

I run YFZ450 up fronts, I wouldn't mind trying the rear if I could get a hold of some for a deal... I got the front brand new on brand new rims off of an '05 for like $50 lol.

How big of an issue is weight with you?

I love my Razr 2s, but they are fatasses....I ride in South Florida, and our terrain is pretty much (sounds like) the same as yours. I would not do to much road riding...I'll admit I think I do to much for them. They dig in sand, but can easily float on top when you get the RPMs up. Dirt...they hook like mofos.

I run YFZ450 up fronts, I wouldn't mind trying the rear if I could get a hold of some for a deal... I got the front brand new on brand new rims off of an '05 for like $50 lol.

Honestly I'm not quite sure how big of a role weight plays in quads. The stock rims and tires feel weightless compared to a buddy's Duro Flattrack tires with douglas rims. Most likely i'll end up going with something on the lighter side because my shee is pretty much stock and i doubt it'll have the power for heavier tires. I'm just hoping to get something that'll hook while not braking the bank.

Honestly I'm not quite sure how big of a role weight plays in quads. The stock rims and tires feel weightless compared to a buddy's Duro Flattrack tires with douglas rims. Most likely i'll end up going with something on the lighter side because my shee is pretty much stock and i doubt it'll have the power for heavier tires. I'm just hoping to get something that'll hook while not braking the bank.

weight plays a huge role in how a bike runs. the more rotational mass you have, the more power you will need to turn it. run the lightest but most durable tire you can.

ive run almost every dirt tire out there to find out which ones last the longest and hook the hardest.

yfz450 tires seem to hook a little harder than kenda knarlys, but dont last quite as long. they are both lightweight and very affordable. you really cant go wrong with either tire.

like i said before, i am going to run those tires from FAST next. im sure they will hook hard and i dont think they are too heavy.

any of these three will suit your needs and wont break your bank.

• 1 month later...
weight plays a huge role in how a bike runs. the more rotational mass you have, the more power you will need to turn it. run the lightest but most durable tire you can.

ive run almost every dirt tire out there to find out which ones last the longest and hook the hardest.

yfz450 tires seem to hook a little harder than kenda knarlys, but dont last quite as long. they are both lightweight and very affordable. you really cant go wrong with either tire.

like i said before, i am going to run those tires from FAST next. im sure they will hook hard and i dont think they are too heavy.

any of these three will suit your needs and wont break your bank.

Loco, did you ever try those tires from F.A.S.T.??? I'm still trying to debate which ones I want to buy.

you might take in consideration the terrain you ride in such as for punctures. If you can a lot of sharp rocks id go for a 6ply tire. The tires loco posted are off the 400ex. The hook up pretty good, but my brother's had plenty of plugs in them because of our rocky terrain.

My most recent set of tires are Mud Lite SP tires. They only come in one size for the front and rear, 22x7-10 and 20x11-9. I will say that they are considerably heavier than the other tires mention and that would be my only complaint. I think they look great and so far they hook up amazingly well in just about every terrain especially soft dirt and sand. They will wear down fairly rapidly if you ride them on pavement a lot. I can dump the clutch in first gear on soft dirt/grass and stand the bike right up barely spinning the tires at all.

We don't really have any rocks down here in south texas. The only ones we ride on is when are on gravel roads.

I thought about a mud tire but figured they would be way to heavy compared to sport atv tires. In fact I've seen quiet afew warriors that run mud tires out back, I always wondered why.

Loco, did you ever try those tires from F.A.S.T.??? I'm still trying to debate which ones I want to buy.

no i havent, but i have no doubt they are good tires. ive personally seen them in action and i know they hook up well. i would say out of all your choices to try them.

i will be buying some here in the next month or so. just havent been riding much due to stupid ass weather. and my 450 tires still have good life on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried some stock YFZ tires/rims on my banshee today and suprisingly they hooked 100 times better than my stock shee tires. Of course I think anything would hook better than my stock tires that were made in 2001.

I'm still trying to decide which ones I want to go with. Now i've pretty much narrowed it down to the Kenda Knarlys, Stock yfz, and regular holeshots. Any other suggestions. Which one would you go with out of the three I listed? Thanks