How to Cut T3 pipes!

gst_r

I know they are old pipes, but i have been looking for this mod, also on this forum an old old very old topic about this mod is posted but the link is dead.....so if anyone know....i will appreciate the help thanks!

I know they are old pipes, but i have been looking for this mod, also on this forum an old old very old topic about this mod is posted but the link is dead.....so if anyone know....i will appreciate the help thanks!

if someone can also explain to me, how making those cuts on the pipes improves performance?

What happens to a 2 stroke pipe when you shorten the expansion chamber? Figure that out and you have the answer.

hmm, im not too sure what pipe cuts means also... ive seen a bnahsee once with like cuts all over the pipe, is that what he means?

how would that shorten the expansion chambers?

so this mod is not to cut, it means that the pipe needs to get shorter and this will cause a higher RPM pipe...correct me if i am wrong....i am not an expert...

i also dont know much about how the expansion chambers work, i THINK, the shorter the expansion chamber, the more bottom end, and the bigger it is, the more top end.

for example, the CPI pipes, they have very big and FAT expansion chambers, thus they give alot of top end power, and then you have the PT mids or Pro circuits or even T6's, with small curved expansion chambers, which give more bottom end.

this is most probably incorrect info though :)

Edited by blaster2006

i also dont know much about how the expansion chambers work, i THINK, the shorter the expansion chamber, the more bottom end, and the bigger it is, the more top end.

for example, the CPI pipes, they have very big and FAT expansion chambers, thus they give alot of top end power, and then you have the PT mids or Pro circuits or even T6's, with small curved expansion chambers, which give more bottom end.

this is most probably incorrect info though :)

Just think of throwing a rubber ball against a wall. The farther the wall is from you, the longer it takes to bounce and come back. Closer wall, faster reaction. High RPMs require faster reactions to stuff lost air/fuel back into the motor before the door (piston) closes. Piston speed is higher. One of the large advancements for a next generation 2-stroke would be to have an exhaust that adjusts with rpm like a power valve does.

Pipe tech goes way beyond what I wrote. You would really need to read some books on fluid and aero dynamics to better understand some of what happens. Size of the pipe is generally a function of the size of charge being expelled.

Brandon

Edited by blowit

Google is magic :biggrin:

"The length of the pipe determines at what time the waves arrive back at the cylinder. Longer pipes require more time for the waves to traverse and so will be tuned to a lower rpm than a shorter pipe. The shorter the pipe the higher the rpm it is tuned to."

taked from: Expansion chamber - MopedWiki

also here are important info: How Two-Stroke Expansion Chambers Works

uhmm if anyone have images from how much to short or cut a T3 pipes will be great....!! thanks!

• 2 years later...

you cut about 2 inches out of the pipe where it makes its turn. then you have to expand the stinger tube. sometimes they pop up on ebay they dont really have an advantage over cpi's or other modern drag pipes. the bigger ones i believe are also a LOT more capacity..