ok not a banshee but watcha think

im looking at a 2007 raptor 700r my friend impounded at his shop, the owner never came to pick it up, so the shop can now sell it, i can get it with impound release papers to prove its not stolen so i cant get in trouble if ever cought riding, but i could probably never register it due to it has a lein on it and i have no paperwork for it. unless i want to do a 907 but then if it has a lien i can probably still get screwed, so eventuallu i would buy a frame with numbers and do a swap, its red frame with grey plastics they have had it for about a yr, so its still like brand new. what do you think its worth? thanks

im looking at a 2007 raptor 700r my friend impounded at his shop, the owner never came to pick it up, so the shop can now sell it, i can get it with impound release papers to prove its not stolen so i cant get in trouble if ever cought riding, but i could probably never register it due to it has a lein on it and i have no paperwork for it. unless i want to do a 907 but then if it has a lien i can probably still get screwed, so eventuallu i would buy a frame with numbers and do a swap, its red frame with grey plastics they have had it for about a yr, so its still like brand new. what do you think its worth? thanks

YO that sounds like a sick deal cant wait to beat up on it

you would have to get the lean released. if they ever run the engine or serial numbers, you're screwed. your bud's shop would have to sell it, then satisfy the leinholder. i am assuming it's a bank, so check the local laws, a small partial payment may do

Does the shop you are wanting to buy it from have the lien? Or is the lien from somewhere else? From what I understand about this is that a shop can't just sell off someone's stuff until they give the owner reasonable amount of time to make good on the bill. What the shop has to do is get a notorized letter from the owner releasing liability of sale. Once that is done the shop has to transfer ownership of the title to themselves and then can they legally sell it. If it is not done this way the cops can show up at your house, take your ride, and give it back to the owner and you will be in trouble. The shop you bought it from will have their place rid of something taking up space and will have to refund you your money, but why hassle with it?

Let this one go.

Your buddy has to go and take out a mechanic's lein. After a set period of time has lapsed, if the work hasn't been paid for, then he can either put it up for auction, for sale, or keep it for himself. Either way, he still has to pay off the bank. It's likely that the bank will accept a much smaller amount, but they still have to be satisfied. If he does some backdoor shit, it could still be reported stolen by the owner or bank, the owner gets his insurance money, and buys a new bike. Then when you get caught with it, you're up shit's creek without a paddle. If he doesn't do it the legal way, the way that I look at it, it's still stolen.