Bottom end together...crank hard to turn?

lt1bird

Ok, got the two haves together, glued etc........ Tranny spins perfect. How easy should the crank spin? With no oil seals and just the crank assembly sitting in the bottom half...it spun super easy. with the oil seals on the crank and fully torqued down it spins harder.....Still spins by hand...no binding or wierd feelings..... I seem a bit paranoid about how easy it should spin.... I can turn the crank by hand with the primary gear....no isses.....Just cant remember how hard it was to spin before the glue/torque was done..... Does not spin as easy as the tranny...... Anyone got an opionion?

if you grab the rods it should spin very freely..we're talking about a stock crank right??did you aline the pins?did you check bearings??

The pins in the bearing need to be aligned with the recess in the case half. These keep the bearing from spinning with the crank and can cause the crank to be out of alignment.

Sounds like you need to split the cases and check. Sorry.

SP

The pins in the bearing need to be aligned with the recess in the case half. These keep the bearing from spinning with the crank and can cause the crank to be out of alignment.

Sounds like you need to split the cases and check. Sorry.

SP

yea that and I like to put assembly lube on the new seals too so they arent run so dry and stiff.

It has no pins.....just O-Rings hold the crank...... aftermarket crank.... Dowels are fine..... I can turn the crank by hand using the rods....I think it seems a bit harder beacuse now that the case top is on, it restricts how far the rods can move back and fourth....you have less angle to push the rods....kinda hard to explain... I think the oil seals make it a bit harder to spin? It's not like im grunting to turn it... It just does not spin super easy like without the oil seals......

Well, I pulled the gear, loosedend the bolts and tested......it spins fine....Torqued the bolts.....spins fine....final torque and it spins a bit tighter...... Trinity tech guy says its normal for the crank to tighten up a bit when torqued in place. He said it should still spin free and not bind etc..... Is this what most folks find? It will tighten up a bit when the bolts are torqued.......it gets about 20% more difficult to spin after torqued....... can anyone confirm this?

Well, I pulled the gear, loosedend the bolts and tested......it spins fine....Torqued the bolts.....spins fine....final torque and it spins a bit tighter...... Trinity tech guy says its normal for the crank to tighten up a bit when torqued in place. He said it should still spin free and not bind etc..... Is this what most folks find? It will tighten up a bit when the bolts are torqued.......it gets about 20% more difficult to spin after torqued....... can anyone confirm this?

Im doing the same thing right now just torqued everything down yesterday and it seams a bit tighter than not torqued im doing a 4 mill build but it should all be the same as long as nothing is grinding on anything else and the bearings arent oblonged than go for it make sure to look around all the places where you can see and ide say run it!

When I put the cases back together and torqued everything down I noticed the same thing, crank would spin freely but not as freely as it did when it was just sitting in the lower case half with no seals and the top case half off. I have had no problems in almost a year of riding with the motor so I would say what the Trinity guy told you is right and makes sense.