Shifting Problem During Heavy load

hyperlite33

Since I rebuilt my engine from basically stock to a 4mil, I have noticed a problem when in second gear and pulling up a hill, it pops into nuetral or when I downshift into second, it goes straight into nuetral. It won't happen during any other time but hillshooting under hard load.

When I pulled the clutch apart I noticed the top shift shaft was sitting on the shift drum pin.

Can anyone tell me if this little adjustment might be what is causing problems?

I also ground the shift star myself, can someone tell by looking at it if I took to much of the peaks to cause a "too easy shifting"

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04646.jpg

DSC04647.jpg

i am no expert on trannys, but i do know that you are suppose to split the diference on the gap on both sides of it.. yours is definately out of adjustment.. readjust it and see what happens.. if that is not it you will probably have to split the cases and see whats wrong in the trans.. just my thoughts on it.. someone with more knowledge on this will surely chime in..

Does my shift star look like I took to much off the peaks to compound the mis-adjustment problem? While I'm in there, I could replace it easily if it looks to radically modified.

Does this go out of adjustment, 'cause I got it perfect centered when rebuilding...that's why I was suprized to see it sitting on the pins?

yea, it may have just worked it way out of adjustment, as far as your shift star it looks great!! i took the same amount (if not more) off of all the shift stars that i do... we have 3 banshees and i did them all with no problems.. just adjust the shifter mechanism and try it... it should fix the problem.. if it where my bike i would not be worried after i seen how far out of adjustment it is... so, adjust it, don't worry, and ride it..

yea, it may have just worked it way out of adjustment, as far as your shift star it looks great!! i took the same amount (if not more) off of all the shift stars that i do... we have 3 banshees and i did them all with no problems.. just adjust the shifter mechanism and try it... it should fix the problem.. if it where my bike i would not be worried after i seen how far out of adjustment it is... so, adjust it, don't worry, and ride it..

Cool thanks for the reasurance on the shift star!!

As far as the adjustment...I tried to adjust it and it hardly lifts the shift shaft off the pin...not even close to balancing the distances of the shift shaft. I took the eccentric srew out and it doesn't look all that eccentric.

Does this eccentric adjuster bolt wear out and need to be replaced or am I missing something on the adustment?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adjusting the shifter will not fix your problem. you will need to remove the lower case and replace 2nd gear. if it is popping out under acceleration the dog ears on the gear are worn out and allowing the gear to pop out will under pressure. Plus this is putting undue stress on the shift forks so plan on replacing those 2. The only good thing is you can replace all of this without removing the topend. Just remove all the drive gears and the flywheel and stator then remove the lower engine case while having the engine upside down. Pull out the tranny shafts and replace the gears and shift forks. Takes about an hour to do it once you getthe motor out of the chassis.

so when i decide to put an overide tranny in my motor i can leave the topend bolted up if i have it upside down and just remove the lower case??

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adjusting the shifter will not fix your problem. you will need to remove the lower case and replace 2nd gear. if it is popping out under acceleration the dog ears on the gear are worn out and allowing the gear to pop out will under pressure. Plus this is putting undue stress on the shift forks so plan on replacing those 2. The only good thing is you can replace all of this without removing the topend. Just remove all the drive gears and the flywheel and stator then remove the lower engine case while having the engine upside down. Pull out the tranny shafts and replace the gears and shift forks. Takes about an hour to do it once you getthe motor out of the chassis.

Thanks for the good news :down: I am crossing my fingers that is not the case! Even if it is not grinding gears and going straight to nuetral...will that still hurt the dog ears on the gear?

Jeff @ FAST is setting me up with a new shift shaft and eccentric stud, so I will try that first before I tear into the bottom end...but I appreciate the tip on flipping the engine to just get at the bottom end. I have only 3 weekends on it and didn't want to go through the whole teardown so soon. :sad: