Which Plug Wire Goes Where?

Roudy4x4

Oh, I am not arguing the need for compression to run and produce power. (much less move a banshee)

My question was why the spark doesn't start the fuel burning at BDC when the the jug should have completed the intake period.

Hold one spark plug outside the cylinder and and see if it doesn't ignite the fuel/air coming out of the spark plug hole without any compression (can't do it with a banshee though). Static or slow moving fuel/air mixture will definitely burn without compression.

As for the comment about Diesel, besides the fact that it is a different process all together, compression creates heat. No spark plug needed because diesel is much higher compression. Enough that the heat generated by the compression causes the fuel burn to begin.

and fuel burns.. not explode... not in a properly functioning engine. (I believe gas exploding is considered detonation)

you eveer hear of the squish-bang theory? :geek: the fuel is overrich enough to cause an initial explosion AND burn without overheating. detonation is when the fuel explodes from the heat of the piston, dome, or plug tip. the reason it doesn't ignite @ bdc is that there is a small amount of exhaust in the dome untill it emulsifies the intake mixture during compression. someone on here has an animation on their sig, but if you look closely, it doesn't show this processes. it is an optomistic view that does not show the wasted fuel mixture that stays through the exhaust, or the the return pulse that sneaks past the reeds while thy're closing. this is why they half to idle over 1500 rpm to really stay running :biggrin:

That would be bansh-eman.

Not completely true. I had mine set at 1000ish. Took throttle very good too. Very crisp.

that's cool :thumbsup: but i don't bother getting them to idle that low because of constant elevation changes at different ridding spots, or riddin up and down the mountain, not to mention temp changes. i don't feel like adjusting everytime i ride. mabey i'll just get another h.a.c. system plumbed in :shrug:

that's cool :thumbsup: but i don't bother getting them to idle that low because of constant elevation changes at different ridding spots, or riddin up and down the mountain, not to mention temp changes. i don't feel like adjusting everytime i ride. mabey i'll just get another h.a.c. system plumbed in :shrug:

Yea, didn't think about how many of you guys ride in different elevations. I ride anywhere from sea level to 50'asl. So mine works out good, where it is.