Registered atv?

06shee325

thats some bullshit.seems like the only way they could take it is if it was reported stolen.past that its not any of their business i would think.i guess since you had to register it you should be able to get it tagged and drive it on the street.im sure different states have different laws,but it seems like the officer would have better things to do than harass people like look for rapist and murderers or somthin.i have also found in the past that police make up their own little rules that arent really laws.

in nj and ny if any atv is unregistered and uninsured, they do have the right to impound. The reason is that there are no LEGAL riding areas so everything is considered trespassing. So if you are registered all you can get is a fine - JT

it seems like the officer would have better things to do than harass people like look for rapist and murderers or somthin.

I can't believe that you even went there. I don't agree with screwing with atv or dirtbike riders, either. But believe it or not, they're just trying to make sure you're safe, and not fuckin up someone else's property.

i have also found in the past that police make up their own little rules that arent really laws.

Anyone that says some dumb shit like this, is just ignorant of the laws themselves. Go read a book.

in nj and ny if any atv is unregistered and uninsured, they do have the right to impound. The reason is that there are no LEGAL riding areas so everything is considered trespassing. So if you are registered all you can get is a fine - JT

Our town has an ordinance that they can impound it if you are tresspassing

In NJ you can pretty much "LEGALLY" ride across the road to get onto your own property if you are registered, However it is 2 less tickets you can get (unregistered and uninsured motor vehicle) if you are insured and registered.

In my experiance, cops don't really bother you unless you are being an asshole, racing up and down the streets, no helmets, etc and just being an......well, asshole or people are calling to complain about you. Unless you get the exception to the rule that just love to hassle dirtbikes, most cops couldn't care less though, unless someone is telling them to look for you.

Edited by bode1

I can't believe that you even went there. I don't agree with screwing with atv or dirtbike riders, either. But believe it or not, they're just trying to make sure you're safe, and not fuckin up someone else's property.

Anyone that says some dumb shit like this, is just ignorant of the laws themselves. Go read a book.

dude are you stupid theres been more than one time in my life where a cop has told me somethin to not been true.thats why we have judges in case you didnt notice.so you can think its some dumb shit if you wish.and talking about ignorant its people like you that goes along with with the laws so there fewer places to ride.so i guess its the few that mess other peoples property up that makes things bad for rest of us,thats bull shit,if they have a problem with someone tearing up someones property they need to deal with that issue not make laws to control everyones life and tell you what you can and cant do.i just stated my own opinion wasnt calling anyone stupid or ignorant but you did so here we go if you want to dumb ass.

I keep all my shit registered here in NY. If I get stopped and they aren't registered...immediate impound!!! You will probably never get it back either. You have to go threw all this bullshit trying to prove that its really yours and then impound fee's etc etc if you can actually get it back. I found its easier to pay the 10 bux a year for each quad I have then to see the cops kid getting my machine for xmas!!!

dude are you stupid theres been more than one time in my life where a cop has told me somethin to not been true.thats why we have judges in case you didnt notice.so you can think its some dumb shit if you wish.and talking about ignorant its people like you that goes along with with the laws so there fewer places to ride.so i guess its the few that mess other peoples property up that makes things bad for rest of us,thats bull shit,if they have a problem with someone tearing up someones property they need to deal with that issue not make laws to control everyones life and tell you what you can and cant do.i just stated my own opinion wasnt calling anyone stupid or ignorant but you did so here we go if you want to dumb ass.

I know this is way off the subject, but I have to school this guy real quick. Sorry. I never called anyone on here stupid or ignorant. I said you're ignorant of the laws. Hugh difference. But you had to make it personal, and call me out as being the stupid one. There is federal case law stating that it's legal for a cop to lie to a criminal (and yes, trespassing and destroying property is a criminal offense, and when convicted, it's on your criminal record). Cops are NOT allowed to arrest anyone on false charges. If they do, then it a major violation of your 4th Amendment (Illegal Search And Seizure), and that's why your police departments have "Internal Affairs", or "Professional Standards". And if that doesn't get you anywhere, the State Police will be happy to handle it. And when the complaint get founded, the cop gets the pink slip because he lied about charges, and his word is no good in a courtroom. And when that happens, you sue civilly for illegally seizing your person.

By the way, that's not why we have judges. The purpose of a judge is to find a defendant "Guilty" or "NOT Guilty". Have you ever heard a judge give an "Innocent" verdict? No. Defense lawyers find technical or clerical errors within a case file, and that is how people get off. Or, the cop goes in the courtroom and asks the judge to Nolle Pross or Dismiss the case.

And what does me following the laws have to do with you having less riding areas? It's people that break the laws or ride recklessly, that are making people more and more reluctant to let ATV's on their property. All you have to do, is follow a few simple laws or instructions, and eventually, people will start to like ATV's being around. When citizens keep having the same problems, with the same people, on the same ATV's, what do you think is going to happen? They call the police, and they run you off. I think that the problem with not having any places to ride, has to do with those few bad apples that don't follow those laws or instructions.

With that being said, feel free to PM me. I'm sure that I can answer any of your legal questions. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Stroker is right, people that act like aholes reck it for everyone. There is an area not far from me that people used to come to from all over our area. People go up there and get hurt or killed from time to time, then they or there family sue the landowners, who in turn call the state police, fish and game, and the state forest police and they crack down on anyone they can catch.

I know this is way off the subject, but I have to school this guy real quick. Sorry. I never called anyone on here stupid or ignorant. I said you're ignorant of the laws. Hugh difference. But you had to make it personal, and call me out as being the stupid one. There is federal case law stating that it's legal for a cop to lie to a criminal (and yes, trespassing and destroying property is a criminal offense, and when convicted, it's on your criminal record). Cops are NOT allowed to arrest anyone on false charges. If they do, then it a major violation of your 4th Amendment (Illegal Search And Seizure), and that's why your police departments have "Internal Affairs", or "Professional Standards". And if that doesn't get you anywhere, the State Police will be happy to handle it. And when the complaint get founded, the cop gets the pink slip because he lied about charges, and his word is no good in a courtroom. And when that happens, you sue civilly for illegally seizing your person.

By the way, that's not why we have judges. The purpose of a judge is to find a defendant "Guilty" or "NOT Guilty". Have you ever heard a judge give an "Innocent" verdict? No. Defense lawyers find technical or clerical errors within a case file, and that is how people get off. Or, the cop goes in the courtroom and asks the judge to Nolle Pross or Dismiss the case.

And what does me following the laws have to do with you having less riding areas? It's people that break the laws or ride recklessly, that are making people more and more reluctant to let ATV's on their property. All you have to do, is follow a few simple laws or instructions, and eventually, people will start to like ATV's being around. When citizens keep having the same problems, with the same people, on the same ATV's, what do you think is going to happen? They call the police, and they run you off. I think that the problem with not having any places to ride, has to do with those few bad apples that don't follow those laws or instructions.

With that being said, feel free to PM me. I'm sure that I can answer any of your legal questions. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

dude first of all im not here to go to law school.all i was doing is stating my opinion which everyone has.i read the post where oh boy was harassed and told he needed to be registered and insured or they could take his 4 wheeler.my opinion on that is i think that is bull shit.where i live in texas if you get pulled over and they run a check on your 4 wheeler and it comes back clean you go on your way and thats the way it should be.to me what really sux about this is what if your buddy or family member borrow your quad and they get pulled over and dont have the proof of insurance or it being registered,i guess your screwed right.i personally dont think a off road vehicle should have to be insured and registered but that just what i think.i believe we spend enough buying it then modding it and paying for gas and paying to ride in parks and so on.so after all of this now some of us have to be insured and be registered,so whats next are we going to have certain days or a particular time of the year we are going to be able to ride.what else is down the road for us,safety inspections where we have to take our quads somewhere to pass a safety test to be able to trail ride it.theres no telling what they will do which i think is bull shit.theres a off road park close to where i live that your quad has to have factory handlebars to ride in the park,what kind of shit is that.i spent gas money and time going there and was told i couldnt ride there cause my handlebars,long story short i didnt go back.and i also think the police should have a reason in the first place to pull you over and even check out you quad or anything else.i dont make the laws but that doesnt mean i have to agree with all of them.you said something about police messing with people that there just making sure your safe,in most cases probably 8 out of 10 they dont give a shit about you of your safety,more like showing authority.thats just another one of my opinions.anyway i could talk about this all day but im sure you have better things to do with you time as i know i do.i just though it sucked what i was reading on this post about being insured and registered and about how easily ones 4 wheeler could be taken.i wasnt trying to be schooled or wasnt trying to start no shit with anyone,and i will definatly be checking on the local laws here to see whats up.if it gets that bad here i will just ride on the 30 acres i live on and be happy with that.

Now Back to the Subject, In Pa if you have it registered and insured there are certain trails that you are allowed on that run from one end of Pa to the other im in central Pa and there is a trail that runs to NewYork.

Now Back to the Subject, In Pa if you have it registered and insured there are certain trails that you are allowed on that run from one end of Pa to the other im in central Pa and there is a trail that runs to NewYork.

Wow that would be allot of fun, sucks youre like 8 hrs from me...

Thanks for the info on the laws, ill have to go to the library. But exactly as stated, the cops dont care just dont be a ass hole and make them want to catch you.

• 2 weeks later...

dude i dont know if cops are smarter in your state but not even the cops in my city know most of the laws. they are really dumb shits. i have been pulled over for crossing the street almost 10 years ago and the cop didnt know shit about atv laws and he tryed to make it look like he did then he gave me a book about the atv laws in my state which says i can cross the street if im going under 10 mph. the same thing happend to me about 3 weeks ago. cops have always fucked with me here and all the other people in my city. they get to hungry with power here they think they can get you for every little thing. ill say this i do respect the law but i dont respect the cops in my city and we are the secend biggest city in my state.