outdoor ice racing Should I use a 8" rear or 9"

motodrumer58

i have no idea. but i have played on the ice before, and was thinking of gettin into racing this year. any ideas of what tires to run? does it matter as long as i can stud them, what design they even are? how many studs should i use in each?

any help would be great, thanks

I run 10'' on my shee and 10'' on my yfz450 both mods are in my sig.. i also use razrs and holeshots with 1/2'' cold kutters . won a 20x10x10 razr i have about 450 studeds in each rear hooks up great , and can still get it to slid out in the corners

Im not too shure with ice. But when it comes to clay or dirt, The larger the rim the less side-bite you will get. I try to stick to 8's because in the turns and comming out of them it hook up soo much more.

really you run a 8'' rear thats alittle diff we all run 10'' rear with 59'' hoosiers i would like to know more ifyour willing to tell me

I am going to go with a 9z. I dont want to spend the cash on another pair of rims.

So far my set up is

front and rear lowering kit

rocky Baumler port work

pulse charger pipes FAB

toomey silencers

Dura blue sway bar thanx to bansheehq for sale

v force 3z

19cc domes

front and rear spacers 3"

looking to get a hinson clutch

Skittles and I also set up a 87 R with 8" rear 826 chins hooks up great just needs more motor. The four strokes are tuff for the old r. I am hoping to put a cpi puma in her soon. I should have them ready for the ice next weekend. I will post some pics.

thanks again for the info.....

post-30486-1226801787_thumb.jpg

really you run a 8'' rear thats alittle diff we all run 10'' rear with 59'' hoosiers i would like to know more ifyour willing to tell me

For Hoosiers its diffrent. They only come in 10's well at least thats all i can get around here. As for nobbies i stick to the 8's. That all depends weather your running on a cushion track or clay. With the 8 in rim you get more sidewall roll. this giving you more side bite and it helps in the turns to get more traction, it really helps when you got alot of HP your trying to get to the ground.

Motodrummer, If you take off your front lowering kit you will get alot better rear wheel traction. And for that R, You dont need a puma to run with the 450's a good ported stock cyl can hang with them.

Motodrummer, If you take off your front lowering kit you will get alot better rear wheel traction. And for that R, You dont need a puma to run with the 450's a good ported stock cyl can hang with them.

umm this thread is about ICE riding. who cares about side traction in clay when on the ice? also that is why he has a lowering kit.....