Spray painting frame.. best paint?

hollisatp

If you stripped it all the way down, and cleaned up the frame, why don't you powdercoat it. Yea, it costs more, but the quality is so much better. PC will last for a very long time. You can get it done in any color, flip-flops, flakes, neons, or whatever. Just like paint, but stays shiny longer, and helps protect from rust. If you spray bomb it, it's just gonna get all scratched up, flake off, and start to rust the frame. You don't want that, get it PC'd.

If you stripped it all the way down, and cleaned up the frame, why don't you powdercoat it. Yea, it costs more, but the quality is so much better. PC will last for a very long time. You can get it done in any color, flip-flops, flakes, neons, or whatever. Just like paint, but stays shiny longer, and helps protect from rust. If you spray bomb it, it's just gonna get all scratched up, flake off, and start to rust the frame. You don't want that, get it PC'd.

i agree for around 250.00 for the frame its a no brain-er you, tear the bike down just to rattle can it and it will prob. still look like poo poo when your done

It was 175 to PC my Suzuki frame black. It was double to do it silver so i went with black. If your on a budget stay with a single step solid color. it can get expensive when you get into the flakes and silvers cause its a 2 step process and then gets cleared.

I was gonna spray it but for 175 and they do all the prep work (clean/blast it) then PC it and you know it will last, Makes it worth the $

I've had personal experience with this... Don't paint it, I know you really dont want to hear this because you have some time and effort into it, but just get it powder coated. I painted mine just for the some and like the first day I rode it started looking like shit... So now that I've got it apart again for an engine re-build im powder coating it

rust seal paint is the only exception ive found to powder coating. ive tried a lot of different paint and this stuff is by far the best. i use a pneumatic spray gun to paint with it but you can actually brush it on and the brush strokes go away and it dries as smooth as glass. it is extremely hard to scratch if you do it right. they actually use this stuff to coat gas tanks and stuff. check it out http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Ive had real good luck with dupont automotive paint. Its pretty cheap, avalible at any auto supply store, goes on pretty heavy. Ive done motorcycle tanks with it, spilled gas on it, didnt ruin the paint at all, got a dent in a tank, used a pops-a-dent to pull it out, paint didnt pull off. For the money it works real well I just did mine with it. Its the same blue, but I used a black primer in the front and white in the rear to give it a different shade, and the orange on the swingarm is a high temp engine block paint.

1225478843.jpg

Edited by wayfast1500

I just wanted to reply that I had my bike powder coated (by a shop) and It is the biggest mistake I made. Once it gets a chip it starts to bubble around the spot and flake. Touch up looks like s#!t.

I painted my A-arms with DP-LF sealer then a black base and cleared them. On the frame I still have to strip the s#!t powder coat off (a pain) then I will use some DP-LF for base and flat black it, so its easy to touch up.

We've also tried powder coat on our desert cars and it doesn't last 15 minutes.

Go paint if you ride anywhere other than sand or if you work on your bike constantly.

Edited by Bellocchi