Detionation any one ?

DunePirate

Just like it says...

The story: My friend and I went out to Glamis, she threw 87octane in the gas cans... I was runnin 5th pinned, I heard a pop and she died. I pull the head off and I got a hole in the piston on the right..

bansheee006.jpg

SO... new pistons, rings, and a fresh bore, but how do I get all of those fine particles out of the case ?

Someone told me to fill it with gas and slosh the crank around until everything comes out, does that sound rite ? Just lookin for some advise, I'm replaceing all the gaskets, (Yes, I know the head gasket was blown ) but might that have been part of the problem in the first place ?

Can I just split it and only pull out the crank and clean that area up ?

I dont know, Hopefully you guys know exactly what I'm talking about and this whole thing will be a breeze.

Thanx in advance, Ryan

ok bud, i had the exact same thing with one of my sleds that im currently rebuilding. First off, i think that the coolant washing that piston was more than likely your problem. The coolant was prolly washing the oil away by the way the other side looks. Some people say that putting gas in and turning the crank then emptying out the gas works but if it were me i would split the cases and make sure for peace of mind. You do not want to do pistons, bore, etc and have some shit down there and mess up your top end right off the get go....do i think you would be fine rinsing with gas? yup, but i wouldnt risk it. You never know if anything got in your bearings or anything....good luck man. If you need any help with spliting the cases let us know, there is alot of smart guys here.

Can I just take the top of the case off, leave the clutch and trans in place and just clean up the crank and trench ?

what is the process here ? Where do I start ? I leave in 3 weeks to pull a 10 day over the Turkey day weekend, I need time to break this bad boy in too. Looking for the most efficient way to do this.

Can I just take the top of the case off, leave the clutch and trans in place and just clean up the crank and trench ?

what is the process here ? Where do I start ? I leave in 3 weeks to pull a 10 day over the Turkey day weekend, I need time to break this bad boy in too. Looking for the most efficient way to do this.

i just went through the same thing...........but i bent the connecting rod so i had to change the crank too...the best and simple way is to tear the whole motor down and clean it....you can leave the trans together but im pretty sure u have to take the clutch apart

i just went through the same thing...........but i bent the connecting rod so i had to change the crank too...the best and simple way is to tear the whole motor down and clean it....you can leave the trans together but im pretty sure u have to take the clutch apart

first off, your shee looks badass. Now to the work. You will have to take the engine out. Take off cylinders, pistons, etc. Remove your flywheel, stator, clutch basket and all that shit in there. Then flip the engine over, loosten the bolts by the numbers stamped on the cases a little at a time...maybe a 1/8th of a turn. With the engine back upright get a rubber mallet and tap the two cases apart. Then pop out the crank and clean up everything. The trans gears are sealed so nothing will be in there. That would be a good time to put in some new crank seals as well. Then put everything back on, break her in and have a blast :thumbsup: I might be forgetting something, i havent done it since april so i might have forgot something small....someone will add in anything i forgot.

first off, your shee looks badass. pop out the crank and clean up everything. The trans gears are sealed so nothing will be in there. That would be a good time to put in some new crank seals as well. Then put everything back on,

I was afraid I would have to take a bunch of junk apart... How hard is this going to be ? Is their anything I can ROYALLY EFF UP ?

I'm kinda worried about removeing the stater and other electrical components, what if it dies :blink:

everything is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you thread the flywheel puller in all the way so you dont strip it out. Put a rag inbetween the clutch gear and hit it with a air impact....other than that its simple. Best advice would be to get a cheap clymer manual from you local stealership or alpha-sports

I am not sure this wasnt pointed out, but a hole burnt through the piston crown is not because of detonation. You leaned out that side and burnt the piston. Either an air leak, or allowing the coolant in caused it to become too lean.

thats what I was thinking, the other side looks really good, I think you went lean it burned up.

Check those carbs and boots out as well

I also know that if that 87 octane was not ethanol free it might cause a similar problem, ethanol runs so much hotter than regular gas. I melted several pistons in my R b/c of the ethanol, might want to consider that into your equation.

Edited by 01banch

As bad as that kaboom is, you need to pull that motor apart and do it right.

You need to have that crank and it's bearings checked....and it could've started separating from the detonation as well.

87 octane isn't a great idea...but you should also have it checked for leaks, etc.

Dude, I am guessing you have an intake tract air leak on the right tube. Looks like a classic pre-ignition melt down to me... I am also guessing the cylinder is scored pretty much all the way around and not just in a couple spots like would be evident with a detonation or partial head gasket/coolant wash seizure. Just the fact there is a hole melted in the piston tells me it isn't a coolant problem.

Anyway, assuming a that a piece of ring has not broken off... In all probability, all you really need to do is rinse out the lower end like your buddy said and find the air leak. It's not the soft aluminum that's going to chew up main and rod bearings, it's the hard chunks like peices of rings or bearing seperators that's going to do it. But, if you want to be totally safe...

BTW, the left slug carbon build-up looks a little lean on the main jet, but that could be from the 87 octane fuel and/or the left cylinder compensating for the right slug just before it vented??? What your looking for is a nice medium to dark brown carbon build up that is somewhat soft and can be scratched with your fingernail. What you don't want is hard black baked on carbon. And look at the under side of the left piston too... If it has a black spot from cooked on oil right in the center, your combustion chamber temps are too high. Might want to consider jetting up a little or backing off the ignition advance or running higher octane fuel or something maybe???

Edited by deckheight