Desert Expedition Tips

prossett

Preparing for 102-km as the crow flies one-day trip from Al Ain to Abu Dhabi in the UAE, across the sand dune desert (with convoy of cars to carry fuel, water, etc.), sleep one night there and then back again.

Most people tell me I'm insane to do this on a Banshee, but I'm game.

I've prepped the bike with engine rebuild and some mods (see http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102901) but I can't say I'm there physically nor do I have much quad experience (but plenty desert 4x4 experience). It's not a race, btw, so I can take it easy and stop whenever.

I'd appreciate any tips from your experience.

Edited by prossett

If you arent used to a quad, I'd say "arm-pump" is gonna be your biggest immediate problem. If you dont know what that is, go ride full blast across the roughest terrain you have for about 5 minutes, arms turn to jello yet? thats arm-pump. There are ways to help it, like stretching, and lots of arm related exercises. And get some comfy grips for the bike, and a steering stabilizer is a must for ANY banshee, no matter where you ride. A set of FAST-FLEXX handlebars are nice too.......

instead of just using your right hand, switch it up and use your left too, strengthen up that left forearm, or if your already a lefty, use your right, show it whos boss and build up those forearm muslces

ahhh good info!!! where can you get those handle bars?

Edited by #1banshee

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add a few myself now that I've done two long distance desert trips:

cover the back of your neck or suffer sunburn

leave arms and legs loose - let the suspension do its job

don't carry heavy sh!t in a backpack

choose the path of least resistance and play when you get to destination