radiator hoses

pitkendall

ok just did a total rebuild new crank new wiesco 80 over pistons and all well after kickin till my leg was tired pull started it to get it to fire up and after fighting with it forever to stay runnin found that i too had forgot to hook up the lil rubber hose that connects the two carbs but now to my problem now that the bike runs (only with choke on :blush: ) the radiator hoses kinda swell and get real hard is this normal i put in a pro desighn impeller so i think it should be ok this is my first shee so it may be normal dnt know oh yea im runnin 280 25 jets is that good or were do i need to start with the jets maybe thats y itll only run with the choke on thanks for any help

how long does it take to swell the hoses? all of them? and are you loosing coolant? the choke forces it to suck more fuel= needs more fuel. adjust your air screws and sync the carbs. then moove the needle 1 knotch richer at a time for the 1/8 to 3/4 throttle range. 3/4 - WOT is your main jet mixture. tear them down and check for debris if you have a problem adjusting them (all the way down) without knowing whatelse you've done for mods, i can't sy what size to run, but it's always safer to go richer thn come back down. or you can say goodby to that shinny new injun :biggrin:

thanks for the help it takes a few minutes for them to get hard and the radiator keeps pressure for a while too all the mods i have are what i listed 80 over wisecos billet impeller toomey t4s k & n filter tors removal kit and thats bout it for the motor

I'd be willing to bet you have either a blown head gasket, or a warped or cracked head. Heads usually only get warped from pulling them off or putting them on, and not using the right tightening sequence/torques. Cracked ones are usually from not using anti-freeze, and the water freezes. Either can also happen from running an engine WAY too hot. Personally, I would look at the head gasket. First though, get a coolant system pressure tester. It goes in place of the radiator cap, and reads pressure. You can also pump them up to help find leaks. Most radiator caps release pressure at 16psi. If you don't have any more than 12-14psi, I wouldn't worry about the hoses getting hard. The testers are a little expensive, so maybe you can rent one from Advance or Auto Zone. Hell, it might even be a bad radiator cap.

Q-Are you losing any water?

Q-Is your head gasket new?

Q-Did you tighten the head in proper sequence/torques?

Q-How much are your hoses swelling?

A couple of people have asked you a few questions, and you haven't answered them. We need to know these things to be ablt to help you out.

ok well i done a compression test and the rings still are not seated yet not enough run time but it had 125 in one cylinder and 130 in the other cylinder ok for your questions i took the rad cap off and i can see the coolant movin through the radiator as it runs

?1 the hoses swell within a few minutes of starting and they dont swell much at all really maybe just old

?2 i have rebuilt the whole motor with wiesco 80 over pistons and all new gaskets and seals

?3 i am not loosing any coolant at all

?4 i torqued the head in steps and in sequance as the manual says to do

my mods are wiesco 80 over pistons pro desighn impeller k & n filter tors removal kit and thats about it i have the air screw adjusted 2 and 1/2 turns out with 280 25 jets and the carbs are synced as well as u can get them without that vacume thingy the idle screw is adjusted all the way in and it still wont idle at all ive cleaned the carbs 4 times now totaly dismantleing them even the needle jet tube and still no change i think i may need to rejet real bad also one pipe is blowing more smoke than the other thanks for any help at all i hope i have answered all ur ?s

oh yeah forgot to ask if maybe it could be my reeds i dont know what kind they are or anything i bought the bike with the motor tore apart cus a bent rod so theres not much i know besides what i did to it

also i have toomey t4s i think and the filter is in the factory air box

Edited by pitkendall

oh yeah forgot to ask if maybe it could be my reeds i dont know what kind they are or anything i bought the bike with the motor tore apart cus a bent rod so theres not much i know besides what i did to it

also i have toomey t4s i think and the filter is in the factory air box

did you check the reeds? one could be bad. do you have a thermostat?

did you check the reeds? one could be bad. do you have a thermostat?

checked the reeds and they seem fine move ok and not stuck and nothing stuck in them and are u serious about the thermostat cus if u are i dnt think so im a neeb ti banshees remember but not to mechanics

also i figured out tonight that the left cylinder is not runnin its got fire and 125 psi pressure but wont run till u rev it alil or put your hand over the carb for a few seconds ive cleaned the carb like 5 times already its so clean u can eat outa it ive cleaned the jets they are clear everything is clean totaly dismantled the carb so its clean moved the clip from were the previous owner had it on the very last notch to the fourth from the top so what now what could it be

checked the reeds and they seem fine move ok and not stuck and nothing stuck in them and are u serious about the thermostat cus if u are i dnt think so im a neeb ti banshees remember but not to mechanics

also i figured out tonight that the left cylinder is not runnin its got fire and 125 psi pressure but wont run till u rev it alil or put your hand over the carb for a few seconds ive cleaned the carb like 5 times already its so clean u can eat outa it ive cleaned the jets they are clear everything is clean totaly dismantled the carb so its clean moved the clip from were the previous owner had it on the very last notch to the fourth from the top so what now what could it be

1. Put the clip back in the middle notch for starters.

2. Make sure your slides aren't installed backwards--slide cutaways to the rear of the bike.

3. If you remove the radiator cap and rev the motor and fluid does not run over the top, then your cooling is fine.

4. If you have stock intakes, make sure the equalizer tube is on and installed properly.

5. If one cylinder is not running at idle even with brand new plugs, then change the plug caps.

The behavior of running only when choked is very indicative of an air leak or slides installed backwards.

you see thats y this thing has me so confused the slides are in the right carb cus i can see the lil silver dot in the window when i snyc them plus tryed to swap them already and they wont slide down in the carb all the way i dont have a ballance tube it has a boost bottle on it and it seems fine ive did the ol air leak test and cant find any air leeks it has spark in that cylinder it just doesnt run im so mad and confused at the same time im about to give up i thank everyone for helping and im trying everything everyone is suggesting but it doesnt fix the problem it cant be very many more things om sure someone has an idea what it is the we havent already checked

Edited by pitkendall

sorry, i am sorta noob to banshee's too, but i've been working on sleds for years, and grew up with a blaster. i am at work right now and about 800 miles away from my shee at home, so i can't remember if the shee has a thermistat or not. but on sleds, i've seen many people make the mistake of pullin thier thermostat without puttin a restrictor in. and the coolant mooves to fast to transfer heat good. that carb's definateley not putting out fuel at idle. i assume you've blown into the bowl vent tube and checked your choke/airscrew passages. if so, save yourself the headache and go get another carb body. that one could be cracked and you cant see it. oh, and try see what happens when you replace the boost bottle with plugs. this is how the sleds run for 10'000-13'000 rpms. the bottle absorbs return pulses on lower rpms, not meant to equalize sides, it just does when you use one bottle for both sides(byproduct) yamaha actually designed these and are supposed to be prprietary to the cylinder, but the manufacturers just make what they want and it still helps, but not as good as its supposed to.

thanks for the help man im goin to check some stuff tonight when i get home and call the place were i bought this thing at and see if he has a used carb i was gonna stop on the way home today and pick up some reeds but i think i may try the carb first i noticed lastnight that the cylinder that aint runnin is the one that had the bent rod in it when i bought the bike so im thinkin it was a preigsisting problem but im gonna fix it and hopefully knock on wood not do what the last owner did

:biggrin: yeah id like to thank everyone that tryed to help me i believe i found my problem tore the carbs apart again today and noticed that the needle holder was in the wrong way were it blocked the lil hole (my fault) and a good buddy gave me a tip to check the float bowls and the previous owner had the bowls on the wrong carb ( i only dismantled one carb at a time) so that fixed 2 problems but after an hour or so of lookin for stuff and sprayin wd40 and finaly gas on every part of the intake side of the motor i finaly sat down on the ground and noticed my carb boot is riped almost all the way across the bottom so im gonna try and find some good ones and replace them and see what happens from there once agian thanks for all the help guys now to spend more money on this thing to hopefully fix it :confused: