Bolt ons vs top end

So I installed pretty much all the suggested bolt ons(Boyeson reeds, pro flow k&n minus lid, trinity stage IV timing plate @ +4, milled head .03, 280 mains, fmf sst pipes) and dont get me wrong "shee" will scream, but even though the set-up is much better for trail riding(more midrange power) im not so sure it wasnt a tad bit quicker, as far as dragging goes, b4...The band hits better throughout the throttle range, but at the sacrifice of top end. When I just had pipes, the power band took longer to hit but felt a tad quicker when wide open. I especially noticed this when dragging my friends z400 the other day. I use spin through 2nd and pass him on 2 tires in 3rd(on dirt), but we were on pavement this time and I crept away but nothing like I use to...maybe its just my imagination, but im suppose to race a 700raptor and a kfx700, and it would be embarrassing to get smoked by a stock kfx. Has the sacrifice of top end made me slower or do I just need to adjust????

Edited by plasticookie

So I installed pretty much all the suggested bolt ons(Boyeson reeds, pro flow k&n minus lid, trinity stage IV timing plate @ +4, milled head .03, 280 mains, fmf sst pipes) and dont get me wrong "shee" will scream, but even though the set-up is much better for trail riding(more midrange power) im not so sure it wasnt a tad bit quicker, as far as dragging goes, b4...The band hits better throughout the throttle range, but at the sacrifice of top end. When I just had pipes, the power band took longer to hit but felt a tad quicker when wide open. I especially noticed this when dragging my friends z400 the other day. I use spin through 2nd and pass him on 2 tires in 3rd(on dirt), but we were on pavement this time and I crept away but nothing like I use to...maybe its just my imagination, but im suppose to race a 700raptor and a kfx700, and it would be embarrassing to get smoked by a stock kfx. Has the sacrifice of top end made me slower or do I just need to adjust????

My set up is similar to yours, all i can think about is maybe those FMF pipes are hurting your top end. Also when you add timing and compression it helps bottom end more than anything. Lastly if your not running the right main it would affect your WOT performance. Try a size smaller or larger main jet and see how she responds.

What i can tell you is my banshee which needs a top end walks all over z400's, 400ex's, with a rolling start i am a good amount quick than stock 450's and can keep with raptor 700's but they are still a little faster. Something is not right with your machine if your not running past a z400.

My set up is similar to yours, all i can think about is maybe those FMF pipes are hurting your top end. Also when you add timing and compression it helps bottom end more than anything. Lastly if your not running the right main it would affect your WOT performance. Try a size smaller or larger main jet and see how she responds.

What i can tell you is my banshee which needs a top end walks all over z400's, 400ex's, with a rolling start i am a good amount quick than stock 450's and can keep with raptor 700's but they are still a little faster. Something is not right with your machine if your not running past a z400.

I beat him pretty badly especially from 3rd on, but it seems like b4 the mods, once I got going, I would just blow past him...How do you like that 13tooth front sprocket? ive got one, but havent put it on bc it seems like that woul be a lot of shifting...stock 700r's beat you with that setup???

Learn how to launch of out second gear.

I wouldn't put a 13 tooth on unless you rode a short MX track or Tight, tight 1, 2 and 3rd gear woods/trails.

Otherwise, you will be blowing through gears and shifting way too much.

Are your carbs sync'd? Fresh oil and gas, etc....

Bike should be faster all over with those mods, unless someone milled the head incorrectly....

I beat him pretty badly especially from 3rd on, but it seems like b4 the mods, once I got going, I would just blow past him...How do you like that 13tooth front sprocket? ive got one, but havent put it on bc it seems like that woul be a lot of shifting...stock 700r's beat you with that setup???

I put on the 13tooth because i was riding a lot of technical trails. I am actually going to go back to a 14T. As for my bike vs a raptor 700. I had a raptor 700 that i sold to a budy, and even it being stock and mine the way it is, the raptor gives me a run for my money. Most time the raptor wins due to traction....I think my banshee is a little faster but obviously i can't hook for shit on any loose stuff.

Learn how to launch of out second gear.

I wouldn't put a 13 tooth on unless you rode a short MX track or Tight, tight 1, 2 and 3rd gear woods/trails.

Otherwise, you will be blowing through gears and shifting way too much.

Are your carbs sync'd? Fresh oil and gas, etc....

Bike should be faster all over with those mods, unless someone milled the head incorrectly....

You mean to start in 2nd???