Plug color

plasticookie

Here is my set up...Fmf sst's, K&n proflow w/o lid, trinity plate +4, stock head shaved .03, & stock carbs w/ 280 mains @ 2 turns out...im also @ 1200ft & 65-80 degrees... Here's my question: Just went up from 260 to 280 mains, adjusted the airscrews out to 2 turns and its seems to run fine throughout the throttle range, but the plugs are dark brown(new plugs)...Every thread in this forums would indicate that it is running too rich, but I couldn't imagine it running any better, but maybe its possible. Should I keep adjusting until I get light brown or leave it as is???

Edited by plasticookie

Cookie man thats seems to be right you are running rich! if you say it runs fines and you dont have no power lag of any kind i personally would leave it as is! Running rich is always better you run less chances of blowin and is safer for the pistons, on the other hand if you do tune it to that point were your plugs are light brown, you'd gain a little more power but would be running leaner id go rich man ive personally have blown for runnin to lean so rich is better i learned the hard way! a little tunning couldnt hurt if you no what your doing.

Well i was gonna move the needle up a clip 2-day & take a picture of the spark plugs...but they have both turn from dark brown, to light brown(almost white) & wet(possibly water)...The coolant level is about the same tho...either im running very lean or water is getting into the head and has rinsed the oil off the plugs...im also using straight tap water, could that be part of the problem???

To check if your burning coolant or have a head leak start the bike and take of the the seat and the lid of the coolant resivor if its bowin bubbles its time to replace your head gasket if it continues to bubble after you change your gasket, you might have a leak on your base gaskets most of the time that your burinin coolant is due to head gasket leaks.

To check if your burning coolant or have a head leak start the bike and take of the the seat and the lid of the coolant resivor if its bowin bubbles its time to replace your head gasket if it continues to bubble after you change your gasket, you might have a leak on your base gaskets most of the time that your burinin coolant is due to head gasket leaks.

There were no air bubbles in the over flow, if thats what u meant.

Yh 4 ounce to a gallon is 32:1 thats good mix ratio and if theres no bubbles in the over flow tank then now atleat you no your not leak any water through your head gasket so your ok there. another thing thing that can cause burnin of white smoke is if you over filled the radiator and over flow thank but i dout thats your problem man... usually with fmf sst ive heard that peopl change there pilot jets becuase of runnin lean but im not to sure with these pipes ive always been a toomeys and cpis fan... let me no your status ima try n help you the best i can

That's good news..I think the reason it smoked, was that I let my friend ride it the other day and he drove it like a little school boy. He's never rode a 2stroke and I think he was afraid of it. It probably built up unburned oil and that was why it was smoking so bad. Anyways, I bought new plugs the pilots are good, the needle is in the right position, still not sure about the mains. I went riding this morning for about 2 hours, occasionally letting it cool down, just in case. It started on 2nd kick and took a minute to warm up but ran great after that. When I got back the plugs were milky chocolate at the bottom, but darker at the base. It almost looks like there are black specs, like described in one the sticky's in this forum, but im not sure if thats what it is. The pipes also make a ping noise, but once again im not sure if it bc it's running lean or just the pipes...I am also using water wetter and took you advice and drained about an inch out of the radiator.

I think your fine if your runnin a chocolate color but if your still a little skeptic try goin down to 270 mains jet. you will run a little leaner so that might take you to that light brown color you want. i personally like runin slight richer but regardless give it a try with 270 mains and update me.