stock head?

'04limited

It's not necessary to reshape the domes, but you can have it done if you want. Generally speaking you can take 0.030" off a stock head and be safe on pump fuel (91-ish octane), and you'll notice the difference. You can go farther, like 0.060" but will probably need higher octane, depending on your setup, either via race fuel or a mix of pump & race fuels. IMHO if the cylinders aren't ported you won't achieve a whole lot by changing the squish, just deck it and go, if it is ported or you're considering having it done soon have the same shop do the head at the same time. Good luck.

the cylinders have an aggressive dune port done by hjr, and my cylinders are already back from kevin so i was thinking about having the stock head shaved by a local shop? so would i need to rechamber the domes? and how much should i take off the head?

Install the head using the old (cleaned up) head gasket and check the squish thickness. Your shooting for .050" +/- final clearance for 93 octane pump gas. So if you have .080" or more squish thickness before cutting the head and you intend to face .030"... Perfect! Otherwise the squish band will need to be cut also.

Edited by deckheight

so if i take .020-.030 off the head do i need to have the domes rechambered?

no you dont.

obviously a builder could make a little more power by chambering it as well. i dont know how noticable it would be though.

mine has .020 taken off with stock porting, and it was a good increase, especially on the bottom end.

Not sure I understand the question... However, in this case, +/- equals one or two thousands. An OEM head squish band width = apx. 10mm not including the blending radius into the chamber, combine this with .048" - .052" squish thickness and a compression ratio suitable for 93 octane fuel and it will yeild a maximum squish velocity in the mid 20's (+/- LOL!). Right where it should be for lower octane fuels on a very mild build Banshee motor IMHO. I am also saying... Use the old head gasket rather than compressing the new one when the head is torqued down to establish an existing squish thickness so it can be determined what needs to be done with the head as far as machine work.

This is all assuming the head casting number is a 2GUY-2 and not one of the 2GUY-1's that came on the very early motors. If it is a 2GUY -1 then don't even bother since they start out with apx. 2cc larger chambers to begin with! Facing .030" off a 2GUY-1 will just put you very near what a 2Guy-2 is (chamber volume wise anyway) to start with...

+/- what?? that's the tolerance on the .050?