450R shocks with yfz450 arms help

melon350

I did my install of the 450 arms the other day and used a set of 450r shocks with the res mounted to the rear. I hit my jump in the back yard a few times, was only getting maybe 7 ft of air. Went out today to put on the yfz spindles and brakes and noticed a dent in the top of my upper arm. The reservoir is hitting the arms. Has anyone else had this problem? Would switching the reservoir to the front help, it would make adjustments harder? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick

post-18608-1180386259.jpg

Edited by melon350

hmmm....now this is interesting. i just bought a pair of the trx shocks too.

is it just on the one side or both?

you might be able to gain some room by flipping them but i dont know for sure.

if you flip them so the rezy's are facing forward, also flip them from side to side (left shock to the right side of quad and vice versa). this will keep the adjustment screws on the shocks facing the outside instead of turned into the frame.

hmmm....now this is interesting. i just bought a pair of the trx shocks too.

is it just on the one side or both?

you might be able to gain some room by flipping them but i dont know for sure.

if you flip them so the rezy's are facing forward, also flip them from side to side (left shock to the right side of quad and vice versa). this will keep the adjustment screws on the shocks facing the outside instead of turned into the frame.

Maybe I am missing something here MM, but if you flip the rezzies then flip the shocks side to side are your rezzies going to be in the back now again? It looks like you would probably still have clearance issues, but it's worth a shot for sure. I'd be curious to see how this all works out, maybe I'll have to start looking for some TRX450 shocks. Do they make anything like a SE that has hi/low adjustments? Also, I can't remember what the rezzie configuration on the LTR450's is like?

sure they'll be in the back again but only if you rotate the shock to be like that. :biggrin:

if you rotate the shock on one side so the rezy is in the front now, pick that shock up with the rezy facing the front (dont turn it, just pick it straight up), move it to the opposite side of the quad and drop it into place, the rezy is still facing forward but the adjustments are facing out like they should be. where as if you left that shock on the same side but just flipped it so the rezy is facing forward, it puts the adjusters facing into the frame.

LTR rezy's are perpendicular to the shock, horizontal instead of vertical like YFZ and TRX shocks.

z400 shocks look like trx and yfz.

the YFZ SE shocks with H/L speed adjustments, their owners want like $400 for them :down:

i dont know if the TRX shocks had or have this adjustment.

Edited by Mullet Man

I'll try flipping the shocks tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it looks. Its a bummer they don't fit right. I'm guessing you would have the max amount of travel with these shocks, they just barely squeeze into the mounts. Its the same on both sides, hasn't done much damage to the shocks luckily, but nice dents in the arms, hopefully doesn't weaken them too much.

The yfz spindles are aluminum, and if you get them complete, have better brakes. They also hold the ball joints at better angles and it also looked like it has less negative camber when I switched.

I just went out and just unbolted the top of one side and spun it 180. Doesn't look like it will help any. Its a shame that these shocks won't work because with the yfz spindles it looks to have the potential for even more travel. With the stock spindles the shocks were tight getting them in, but once I unbolted the top with the yfz spindles I had at least an inch to play with. These shocks to seem a little odd though, with everything set as loose as possible the front end only has maybe a 1/2" sag without me on it, and it seems pretty stiff. Felt good jumping though.

LTR shocks are alot longer than most shocks, probably to long for a Banshee. The TRX shocks are really, really good. You can have them modded by GT Thunder for around $360 and they will respring, revalved, and modify the shafts to gain 7/8" more travel, with all this done they are amazing. I've had mine done by them, front and rear. As far as the adjustments on them, they only have rebound (at the bottom) and compression (at the top with the reservoir). Of course you can adjust ride height with the springs. On a stock 450R, I'm told the shocks are factory valved for 220lbs and the springs are a single rate of 160lbs through the entire stroke. These are also manufactured by Showa incase you were wondering. These can also be turned with no problems, I've seen a few 250r's that have them turned to clear aftermarket radiator shrouds. Hope this helps.

Ouch...damn that sucks melon. I haven't seen them up close lately, but if the rezzys could be turned like differentstrokes sez it would be worth tryin' (hard to tell from the pic it almost looks like the top mount and rezzy location is one cast unit). I just got my Works shocks built for YFZ arms & spindles, had to wait for the right lower bushings (YFZ mounts on the a-arms are 30mm wide, Banshee upper & lower are both 32mm wide) but hopefully will have some pics and impressions up soon...

Anybody try ltr450 shocks yet, how do they compare quality wise, eye to eye, width at upper and lower mounts? Looks like the rezy's should work fine, might hit the pipes pointed back, but should work facing the front.

Edited by melon350

Anybody try ltr450 shocks yet, how do they compare quality wise, eye to eye, width at upper and lower mounts? Looks like the rezy's should work fine, might hit the pipes pointed back, but should work facing the front.

Dont think ltr shocks will work abit long. They are 17.68 long according to WORKS..

Dont think ltr shocks will work abit long. They are 17.68 long according to WORKS..

Damnit I was hoping to use the trx450 shocks on my a arm swap. What is better then the ltz400 or the yfz front shocks? I am still parts shoping for shocks already have the a arms and made my own tie rods. I want a shock with rezi and at the same time I want whichever is going to give me a bit more ground clearance. Let me know what you guys know. Damn Ive done so much reading the last couple days its getting to be hard to see lol. Better not bid on anything now!

I didn't think about the YFZ arms when I posted before (for some reason I was thinking of my old ASR arms), I don't think yours will work with trx shocks either way you turn them. You've probably come to that conclusion, but I think they could be used with +1 forward arms since they are positioned different (reservoirs pointed forward). Here's a pic of some ASR +2+1 arms on my old Banshee, notice how the uppers are out farther. The reservoirs would probably clear on arms like these, but not many others.

quads021.jpg